You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

cpt-city color ramps

ivanozzo

• 4 weeks later...

Update, found a method and thought I'd make a quick tutorial to share with others, you can find it in the forum thread here or in the quote below:

Just now, melior64 said:

I recently saw this post by @ivanozzo sharing a great resource for gradients and colour ramps, but I couldn't figure out how to easily use the eyedropper tool with the gradient in order to copy them into Affinity Photo.

After a long time playing around, eventually I sussed it out - so here's a tutorial for anyone else who needs this!

@melior64
Always Learning | Always Improving
Website   |   Twitter   |   Instagram   |   YouTube

Nice tutorial @melior64

But it can be easier if you copy the gradient image from the site, and use the option File > New from clipboard.

With this, you've got a file of the same larger as the gradient, you only need to enlarge you canvas' height to add a fill layer below. This way, you'll be able to easily pick the colours where they change.

Once you've got a file, you just need to paste another gradient at the top and modify the gradient.

Another tip with the gradient tool: don't use the gradient panel, but the Gradient tool and draw your gradient on the fill layer (AP, or a rectangle in AD) from left to right. You can add dots for colours on your gradient at the right position and pick the colour once the dot is selected.

2019-08-21_212036.thumb.png.40c2852bed5bbc5ef45b9b71a9f89e42.png

On 8/21/2019 at 11:16 AM, melior64 said:

Is there a quick method for importing gradient images like these?

Hi, thanks for sharing this tutorial.

My workflow:

1) I generally read the stops and colors values from the .c3g file

image.png.613401e1b78697aacf3fb881fcdb09f1.pngimage.png.eff6a8ed835a2e55bb217a7da3148aca.png 

2) I set-up the gradient tool with stop positions and colors (I generally use that in the adjustment)

3) I register a macro that applies this gradient

4) I add the macro to the Library (maybe inside a category, for example Hillshade):

image.png.b3ae58d4bec9bcb9d5979bae9ca4b2ed.png

But as you can see we don't have the gradient preview in this way.

Few days ago I've also created two excel files with all the gradients (using a Python script) from the cpt-city package (http://soliton.vm.bytemark.co.uk/pub/cpt-city/pkg/

image.thumb.png.dd9a153c7bb8ef1be862170f4208eb34.png

But, I don't know if I can share these files in this forum, due to a license problem (each author has its own license)

Improvements we need for the adjustment gradient tool:

- The possibility to add float values in the stops.

- The possibility to insert opacity for each color

- The possibility to import gradients from  .cpt, svg ecc... 

• 2 weeks later...