abarkalo

Font organization bug across all Affinity products

I started a thread in feedback on font organization but now honestly this issue has turned into a bug or a glitch and wanted to address it here.  My original request/complaint was that Affinity Publisher (or any Affinity product) could handle font organization better, grouping the widths together as a condensed/normal/extended format. Adobe does it this way and it works well.

Now however, I sent feedback to a font foundry because I thought they had mislabeled SemiExpanded to be wider that Expanded. They told me it was the case with my software not their font. I looked again and realized they were correct and want to share a screen grab from Affinity and another from Photoshop to compare. Please see how the weights and widths organization is messy but the optical illusions of the widths. It seems the word length is squeezing down the sizes as well. 

Since Affinity Publisher is a master layout assembly tool especially where typography plays a critical role, and where many designers use thousands of fonts and many superfamilies that are extremely difficult to navigate through in the current font organization scheme, I ask for the fonts to be displayed as they are with Adobe.  This would help tremendously. I love Affinity products but this is issue a thing to deal with.

Affinity.thumb.png.4e963119f762c455f1b6d358807ca753.png.8c23100198aa633c699cc75e6d68cf1c.pngPhotoshop.thumb.png.64e3f8d04946ddfd2497b40d5ed7f659.png.2eaa9c3ee7ba35e1c4930c3169624bc9.png

I have two font families from the same foundry (Matahari Sans and Tropiline) and the way they are named is totally wacko.
It is like the font designer is from another planet.
So I suspect your fonts are the same way.
(I'll show you mine if you show me yours.)

ID sorts the fonts by the internally specified width and weight - not just the name.
I find this organization much better - even works with totally wacko named fonts.

31 minutes ago, LibreTraining said:

I have two font families from the same foundry (Matahari Sans and Tropiline) and the way they are named is totally wacko.

Tropiline is an odd typeface altogether! The different styles don’t look like they come from the same family; e.g. In the serif fonts the ‘e’ has a Venetian sloping crossbar, but in the sans-serif fonts the crossbar is horizontal.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.2.471 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.2.153 • Designer for iPad 1.7.2.6 • iOS 12.4.1 (iPad Air 2)

4 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Tropiline is an odd typeface altogether! The different styles don’t look like they come from the same family; e.g. In the serif fonts the ‘e’ has a Venetian sloping crossbar, but in the sans-serif fonts the crossbar is horizontal.

I have spent some time with Matahari, but Tropiline ... I have not really messed with it.
But in looking at it right now I see what you mean. Sort of disjointed.

I thought something was wrong with Matahari, but it appears Ruston above is the same way.
O.o

3 minutes ago, LibreTraining said:

I have spent some time with Matahari, but Tropiline ... I have not really messed with it.
But in looking at it right now I see what you mean. Sort of disjointed.

I thought something was wrong with Matahari, but it appears Ruston above is the same way.
O.o

Ruston looks more unified — until you get to the ‘casual’ and ‘script’ fonts! A nice family, all the same: you’ve got me tempted now.... :o

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.2.471 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.2.153 • Designer for iPad 1.7.2.6 • iOS 12.4.1 (iPad Air 2)

OMG. I just looked at their Florent and Intensa families too - same wacko naming.
Just a complete jumble.

If I had to use any of these font families day-to-day I would re-name them to work properly.