You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Font organization bug across all Affinity products

I started a thread in feedback on font organization but now honestly this issue has turned into a bug or a glitch and wanted to address it here.  My original request/complaint was that Affinity Publisher (or any Affinity product) could handle font organization better, grouping the widths together as a condensed/normal/extended format. Adobe does it this way and it works well.

Now however, I sent feedback to a font foundry because I thought they had mislabeled SemiExpanded to be wider that Expanded. They told me it was the case with my software not their font. I looked again and realized they were correct and want to share a screen grab from Affinity and another from Photoshop to compare. Please see how the weights and widths organization is messy but the optical illusions of the widths. It seems the word length is squeezing down the sizes as well. 

Since Affinity Publisher is a master layout assembly tool especially where typography plays a critical role, and where many designers use thousands of fonts and many superfamilies that are extremely difficult to navigate through in the current font organization scheme, I ask for the fonts to be displayed as they are with Adobe.  This would help tremendously. I love Affinity products but this is issue a thing to deal with.

Affinity.thumb.png.4e963119f762c455f1b6d358807ca753.png.8c23100198aa633c699cc75e6d68cf1c.pngPhotoshop.thumb.png.64e3f8d04946ddfd2497b40d5ed7f659.png.2eaa9c3ee7ba35e1c4930c3169624bc9.png

• 5 weeks later...

I have two font families from the same foundry (Matahari Sans and Tropiline) and the way they are named is totally wacko.
It is like the font designer is from another planet.
So I suspect your fonts are the same way.
(I'll show you mine if you show me yours.)

ID sorts the fonts by the internally specified width and weight - not just the name.
I find this organization much better - even works with totally wacko named fonts.

31 minutes ago, LibreTraining said:

I have two font families from the same foundry (Matahari Sans and Tropiline) and the way they are named is totally wacko.

Tropiline is an odd typeface altogether! The different styles don’t look like they come from the same family; e.g. In the serif fonts the ‘e’ has a Venetian sloping crossbar, but in the sans-serif fonts the crossbar is horizontal.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

4 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Tropiline is an odd typeface altogether! The different styles don’t look like they come from the same family; e.g. In the serif fonts the ‘e’ has a Venetian sloping crossbar, but in the sans-serif fonts the crossbar is horizontal.

I have spent some time with Matahari, but Tropiline ... I have not really messed with it.
But in looking at it right now I see what you mean. Sort of disjointed.

I thought something was wrong with Matahari, but it appears Ruston above is the same way.
O.o

3 minutes ago, LibreTraining said:

I have spent some time with Matahari, but Tropiline ... I have not really messed with it.
But in looking at it right now I see what you mean. Sort of disjointed.

I thought something was wrong with Matahari, but it appears Ruston above is the same way.
O.o

Ruston looks more unified — until you get to the ‘casual’ and ‘script’ fonts! A nice family, all the same: you’ve got me tempted now.... :o

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi abarkalo,

Sorry for the delayed response. Would you be able to upload a copy of the Rushton font that demonstrates this please? It does a very good job of showing why the sort is important! If you could upload to our internal Dropbox account using the link below that would be great as I can get the issue passed on to development! Thanks!

https://www.dropbox.com/request/vBGXQkCw2RGO9kPsigJE

• 7 months later...
  • Staff

Sorry.

Thank you for reporting a problem using 1.7.x . It appears that a member of the Affinity QA team didn't get round to fully investigating this specific report posted in the bugs forums. We are very sorry for this oversight. Yours is one of a number of reports that I am posting this apology to, using an automated script.

Now we have released 1.8.3 on all platforms containing many hundreds of bug fixes, and we hope your problem has already been fully addressed. If you still have this problem in the 1.8.3 release build, then the QA team would really appreciate you reporting again it in the relevant Bugs forum.

Each of those links above contains instructions how best to report a bug to us. If that is what you already did in this thread just copy paste your original report into a new thread. We appreciate all the information that you have including sample files and screen shots to help us replicate your problem.

This thread has now been locked as the QA team are not following the threads to which this automatic reply is made, which is why we would appreciate a new bug report if you are still have this problem in the current 1.8.3 release build.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon