You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Red Eyed Tree Frog (AD)

VectorVonDoom

Red Eyed Tree Frogs are native to Mexico, Central America and go all the way down to Colombia (perhaps on holiday). Its scientific name is A. callidryas, which comes from Greek words kalos (beautiful) and dryas (a tree or wood nymph).

I was chatting with someone about drawing and she liked to do Victorian style flora and fauna illustrations (I think there’s a proper name for it but I forget). I said that I usually try for realistic when I mess around for fun and she wanted to see something. One her favourite things are frogs, she has lots of ornaments etc in her house. So I did this, I think it might be the first living thing that I’ve done properly although I'll probably do a bit more to it sometime.

Just the pen tool, no textures.

1246020808_Redeyedtreefrog.thumb.jpg.56599cf8ed731a4e24af9914eba745e8.jpg

outlines.jpg

Marc

ArtByMarc.me

Crikey! (Actual words used were a little cruder and rhyme with “suddy bell”.)
I would suggest that Serif contact you to make some kind of Spotlight article about this, if you were amenable – preferably with an animation showing a swipe between the finished drawing and the vector-only version.
I think it’s reasonable to say that if something as good as this doesn’t show the power of the application in the right hands then nothing will.
You consistently produce wonderful artwork but this is really special and deserves way more exposure than what it will get here.

14 hours ago, Mithferion said:

I won't lie: I thought this was a picture. What a jawdropping work!

Best regards!

14 hours ago, affinity4Christ15 said:

I also thought it was a photo editing project...UNBELIEVABLE WORK!!!

11 hours ago, PedroOfOz said:

+1  

thumbup1.gif

Add me to the list! I thought it was highly unusual for @VectorVonDoom to post raster work, and I was all set to ask Marc for a summary of the processing he applied to the image.

21 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Crikey! (Actual words used were a little cruder and rhyme with “suddy bell”.)

The phrase “cruddy shell” works for me. Then all you need to do is knock off the first letter of each word. ;)

23 minutes ago, GarryP said:

I would suggest that Serif contact you to make some kind of Spotlight article about this, if you were amenable – preferably with an animation showing a swipe between the finished drawing and the vector-only version.
I think it’s reasonable to say that if something as good as this doesn’t show the power of the application in the right hands then nothing will.
You consistently produce wonderful artwork but this is really special and deserves way more exposure than what it will get here.

+1 to all of the above.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Wow!..This is absolutely immaculate...best yet!..I need more practice!O.o

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.1 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 2.2356
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

Indeed, without surface texture it would have looked rubbish, well a lot worse. You see that often when people do vectors faces especially men and children, they don't do any texture, pores etc, and it looks like plastic. Which is why most pick a lady in full makeup which hides all of that and makes it so much easier.

Marc

ArtByMarc.me

On 7/23/2019 at 2:03 PM, VectorVonDoom said:

Red Eyed Tree Frogs are native to Mexico, Central America and go all the way down to Colombia (perhaps on holiday). Its scientific name is A. callidryas, which comes from Greek words kalos (beautiful) and dryas (a tree or wood nymph).

I was chatting with someone about drawing and she liked to do Victorian style flora and fauna illustrations (I think there’s a proper name for it but I forget). I said that I usually try for realistic when I mess around for fun and she wanted to see something. One her favourite things are frogs, she has lots of ornaments etc in her house. So I did this, I think it might be the first living thing that I’ve done properly although I'll probably do a bit more to it sometime.

Just the pen tool, no textures.

1246020808_Redeyedtreefrog.thumb.jpg.56599cf8ed731a4e24af9914eba745e8.jpg

outlines.jpg

This is all vector work? All those details? I assume it is based on the responses. That's sick, how do you handle the coloring/layers to this traffic of fine lines?

It is all vector, it's something anyone could try if they wanted, have a look at the dragon fly post. You do learn some techniques but it is just the pen tool so the basics are fairly easy.

I just break things down in to areas, in this 13 main groups then sub-groups. For example the branch was 5 sub-groups so I could get the depth of field effect.

Marc

ArtByMarc.me