You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Marquee Tool Help / Tutorial?

I'm struggling to understand how to use the Marquee tools in Affinity Designers Pixel Persona.

The help seems fairly lightweight and I can't find any tutorials or videos.  I'm guessing the tools may be based on Adobes versions but I haven't used the Adobe products.

Are there any resources to help me understand how to competently use the marquee features of AD.  Should I go and look up Adobe tutorials? 

(The task I am currently working on is mocking up a user interface.  I have a screen shot and want to cut out the various buttons and UI elements so I can rearrange them to try new layouts.  I can't see a way to accurately draw a rectangle marquee, as there are no handles to adjust the size after you have dragged an initial approximation.  I also often end up selecting nothing and end up with empty images.  After getting frustrated, I thought I'd better read the manual, but haven't yet found a good tutorial or overview.)

Thanks

• Staff

Hi roryobryan,

The quickest and most flexible way to handle this is to use the Crop Tool. Affinity's Designer crop tool is object oriented (rather than document oriented) which means it only controls the object you are editing without affecting the rest of the document. It's also non-destructive, letting you recover part of the buttons or interface if you need them later.

To use it, select the bitmap (interface) object you want, change to the Crop tool and drag the bounding box handles to hide the parts you don't want. You can also enable Snapping / Force Pixel Alignment to control the crop at a pixel level (make sure the bitmap is also aligned with the pixel grid). 

You can then duplicate and click and drag inside the cropped image/interface to show other parts as needed.

Let me know if you still have trouble.