You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Macbook Pro 15" 2018 + basic Affinity Designer operations results in overheating & huge CPU spikes

Hello

My newly aquired Macbook Pro 15" 2018 (2,2Ghz) has some serious issues when running Affinity Designer.
I am just drawing some basic circles with the Pencil tool and the laptop overheats like crazy and the fans
start spinning like it's about to explode. CPU usage goes to surreal 800% / 500% / 350%...

Does anyone else have this problem?

thanks!

here's a clip of cpu going to 850%.

https://youtu.be/oKyeQci7JbE

1139996787_ScreenShot2019-07-23at14_29_31.thumb.png.11947205255149401b172cad29f72d33.png

• Staff

On the new multi core Mac's the CPU % utilisation relates to the number of of cores being used 100% is using one core 500% will be using 5 cores and 800% is using 8 cores, are us using a tablet or the mouse to draw the circles and also what are the dimensions of your document.

• 4 months later...

I do have the same problem with my:

MacBookPro14,1 (2017)
Intel Core i5 2,3 GHz, 8 Gt
Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 Mt

Fans start spinning quite fast when using pen-tool (curves), or if I change color by spinning color wheel. CPU use can go up to 230%, energy impact over 200 too.  I think that this problem came with the AD 1.7 update.  

My previous 2012 MacBook Pro and the earlier versions of Affinity Designer were not as heavily loaded and as I remember right the use of the pen-tool had no such big effect on heating.

2 hours ago, leechi said:

what exactly is the problem guys. want affinity to use only one core?

The problem is the very high CPU usage during some actions. If you apply a complex filter, fine, but moving an object with grid snapping enabled? Should be no problem. Drawing a vector line? Should be no problem.

Check out my Youtube Channel about vector art:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHRE-TL1-AeVBMtxRTmRa8Q

Want to see a magic trick for making isometric designs in Designer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGtK3KG_nRM

My Graphic Tablet