You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

APhoto crashes and completely freezes my Mac

Affinity Photo 1.7.1 on iMac Pro (Radeon Pro Vega 56 8 GB) and macOS 10.14.5 and also 10.14.6.

The app crashes, when I copy and paste photographic objects with high resolution into a smaller photo or document and begin to scale and arrange the item. I can not describe it much more in detail, but this happens every time. 

During scaling of the pasted object, the spinning beachball appears, and seconds later, my Mac is completely blocked. No mouse pointer, no way of switching into another app, no keyboard or mouse commands at all (even the clock in the menu bar is frozen). The only way to recover, is to switch the computer off and reboot it.

Interestingly, this does not happen, when using the Photo Persona in Affinity Publisher!

Is that a known bug?

• Staff

Hi sonorman,

We may need to get a sample file from you, i have a similar spec Mac and haven't been able to replicate the issue by scaling pasted objects.  Can you try this in the latest beta from here and see if the issue still happens and if it does, we can look at getting a sample file from you.

Hi stokerg.

This isn't limited to a specific file. It may have to do with transparency, but that's not for sure. It (almost) always happens, when I do the following steps:

1. Opening a file, like a .png (i.e. a small Logo with transparent background).

2. Opening a second file. This might be a .jpg photo, in which I select an object, release it from the background, and copy it (cmd-c). The copied item ist bigger (higher resolution), than the .png-Logo

3. I go back to the .png file and paste the object. Currently, there is no option to paste "scaled" to the artwork. So the object takes more space, than the artboard of the .png actually is. 

4. Therefore, I have to scale down the pasted object manually, by using the select tool, grabbing the object-handle and dragging. At this point, the app crashes.

The mean thing is, that it completely freezes my computer.