You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Create Presets For Unconstrained Crops - fixed sizes

I want a feature where you can create your own presets for unconstrained crops. This is currently greyed out in unconstrained cropping mode. This problem has been talked about in this thread, and also this thread as well.

test.png.a5470b8b5e688550ee32aec79ee40d8c.png

I am resizing thousands of photos, and I have to type in the size I want every single time to get a fixed size. The crop sizes are staying the same for every photo I do, but the placement varies from photo to photo, otherwise I would just do a batch job. I'm starting to feel some repetitive stress injury from typing all the numbers. :(

Thanks for your time.

After reading many forum responses and scouring video tutorials i still didn't find the answer you and i were looking for - a simple but different size thatn one contained in the presets and one that can be held over to use again and again, so taking  a wee bit from one reply and adding it to another,  I think I have found the answer mate.

Open your first image, create under absolute size the cropping parameters you want most of your images to be,  in my case it was 1620px by 1080px by 300dpx, then open up the gear (cog) and go to the small = on the upper right and side - its were you find most extras to any preset or window, under manage presets create a folder for you XXXXX. Then select Create  preset and give it a name, then hit OK.

Now you have an absolute size for multiple images and now every time you open an image and select the crop tool it will stay on the absolute settings you have selected - if you want to make it unconstrained then simply select that setting, if you want to go back it's stored in the cog under its own name..... It took me a while to find it and make it work also but there it is now i can resize multiple images quickly.... hope this helps

screensnap1.jpg

travelshooter:

What you describe does not work for me. You can use the absolute size to set a preset, but when you go to use that preset it does not function as you would expect. Absolute size is functioning more like a resizing mechanism that uses ratios and re-samples your image.  This thread talks about it a bit.

An example with a random image I pulled from the internet: I want this to be 1348px x 821px, so I set up a preset for that. Using unconstrained the image crop should be at this size:

1.thumb.png.34dd6553de14c18da6248f21ab11619c.png

When I go to the image and select the preset, this is the bounding box that actually shows up on my screen:

3.thumb.png.e81f1c92119cd9998b60e6445cbd72bd.png

Thanks for looking into it, but your method is not working for my version for some reason. (I'm using 1.7.1)

Edited by wordman