You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Does anyone have a good way to prepare "Smart Objects" for Affinity Designer?

Hi Everyone,

My Explanation: I'm new to Affinity programs and I'm in the process of preparing all of my PSD files for Affinity Designer & Photo. I've been using Adobe Photoshop for a long time during that time I have created a lot "Smart Objects" within my files.

Yesterday, in adobe photoshop, I spent two hours preparing my main device templates and eight hours preparing one single file to be imported and used in Affinity Designer. I went into each smart object individually and pulled the full resolution images, shapes, etc.. and placed them on a separate artboard in the main file.

Below is an example of a simple template that has multiple layers of smart objects. This example has several instances of 3 layers of smart objects. Even though that doesn't add up to too many smart objects in this file I have lots of files that are similar, or even more complex, and the method that I have been using is incredibly time-consuming.

My question: Has anyone found a better way of preparing smart objects, or assets within smart objects, for Affinity Designer & Photo?

Picture 1.png

Picture 2.png

Picture 3.png

Picture 4.png

Picture 5.png

• Staff
7 hours ago, KyleCrotts said:

Has anyone found a better way of preparing smart objects, or assets within smart objects, for Affinity Designer & Photo?

Hi KyleCrotts and Welcome to the Forums,

As we rasterize smart objects on opening, i'm not aware of a better method than you are using.  We need them not to be smart objects and i can't think of another way to get that result.  Hopefully if anyone else knows of a trick they will post :) 

Advanced issues found

On 7/23/2019 at 3:55 AM, stokerg said:

Hi KyleCrotts and Welcome to the Forums,

Hello stokerg,

Thank you for your comments. I was actually able to finish prepping my files a bit quicker than I originally expected, which was nice. Though I am hoping for perhaps a better way to import files with smart objects in the future. Perhaps Affinity will one day be able to look into a smart object and extract objects such as shapes and text at vector and images at max resolution, instead of rasterizing the smart object at face value. I'm not a coding expert but somehow that seems unlikely, regardless of how convenient it may be.