You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity - please enable "import with bleed"!

Hi,

Queries on other threads have revealed that when one Affinity document is embedded within another, there is no "import with bleed" option.

This is a feature I find massively helpful in InD***gn when setting up the same artwork to be resampled at different sizes. I set the artwork up at its largest size with lots of extra bleed so that sufficient bleed is still  available when the artwork is resized to smaller sizes and inserted into other InD files. And because everything is linked, I only have to update one file with alterations and the changes just ripple through the other files.

With Publisher, I'm having to make a master A3 page size file 6mm bigger all the way round which will then fit snugly when linked into frames on smaller page sizes with a 3mm bleed specified.

It's a bit of a faff though and you have to stay on top of the dimensions box when resizing.

I don't know how other people resolve this issue but, for me, not having "insert with bleed" is a big impact on my workflow.

Edited by Richard786
Thought the original title sounded a bit snooty

4 hours ago, Richard786 said:

I only have to update one file with alterations

Does this mean that you are changing an original, linked file to meet your bleed needs for a different and/or future use in different size? Every time?
Sounds like you are adapting bleed every time, too, but just at a different location/file, right?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 12:51 AM, thomaso said:

Does this mean that you are changing an original, linked file to meet your bleed needs for a different and/or future use in different size? Every time?
Sounds like you are adapting bleed every time, too, but just at a different location/file, right?

Pretty much. The Master File is A3 but oversized by 6mm all round on page size, then imported in documents at A0, A3, A4 and A5 sized documents all set to have a 3mm bleed. Thus one file outputs to four different sizes all with the necessary 3mm bleed for printing.

You can place a pdf and then in the context toolbar after ‘Page Box’ select ‘CropBox’.

Is that what you're looking for?

Macbook Pro mid 2015, 16 GB, double barrel: MacOS Mojave + Affinity 1 (+ Adobe’s CS6)/ MacOS Monterey + Affinity 2