You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• 3 weeks later...

Blatherus,

Thanks for the post - let me address the points you raise:

1.) Channel support in the Blend Options panel (Blend If) has been implemented and will ship in the RC1 build due on Monday - Blend If in AP is more sophisticated than the equivalent in other photo editing tools - supporting full spline maps etc. - and it just took us a little longer to get it working for all channels.

2.) It is already possible to use curves and a number of other adjustments on mask layers in a destructive or non destructive manor - but because masks in AP are a generic layer and can be moved to any position in the document, it might not be immediately obvious how to do it. The rough process is as follows:

• Add a mask to a layer
  • Right click that mask and choose "Release Mask" - the mask will become a sibling of the target layer. Group these two if you require the mask to be limited to the original layer.
  • Select the mask and add a Curves Adjustment.
  • Manipulate the Alpha channel in the Curves Adjustment.

This process applies to *all* types of layers - masks, adjustments, live filters, etc. The process is incredibly flexible, but there is admittedly an extra step or so. I believe the flexibility outweighs the complexity.

3.) We currently show a Master channel by default for all adjustments in all formats. I agree that it has no relevance for LAB, Grey and possibly CMYK and accepted the bug reporting it some time ago. Trouble is, the bug causes no instability, crashes or odd behaviour - it's just an unnecessary option. Hence, it's way down the list of things to fix - we will fix it though - because it has been accepted as broken.

Hope this helps,

Andy.

Andy - thanks for the reply above - sorry I've been off this forum for a while - would have been good to comment in this thread earlier. Will try the workflow you suggest for modifying masks. I have to say that some manipulations in the layer list are a little unintuitive at this point. But I'm keen to make AP work for me.

Thanks so much for getting the channel picker in the blend options dialog. That change has made the AP blend options leapfrog PS significantly. Which I think is the vibe you're going for.

One more question - is there a way to apply a filter to a single channel? Unsharp masking in Lab only makes sense on the L channel and a/b sometimes need to be blurred but applying blur to L or sharpening to a/b is usually not good. Even in RGB you may only want to sharpen a particular channel or sharpen them differently.

csp - I agree that a lot less needs to be done to get basic correct colour with modern cameras but I would argue that many of the Margulis techniques - especially the Lab ones - can make a good picture better and rescue many bad ones, I think they are well worth having in your tool bag. They are great also for moving away from the art in a controlled way.

• Staff

Hello all,

Yes, when previewing the filter (or before even) - use the little buttons in the channels panel - the ones which look like little pencils.

These control which channels can be edited - it's not just limited to filters too - brushes and everything else will obey the settings :)

Hope this helps,

Andy.

Hello all,

Yes, when previewing the filter (or before even) - use the little buttons in the channels panel - the ones which look like little pencils.

These control which channels can be edited - it's not just limited to filters too - brushes and everything else will obey the settings :)

Hope this helps,

Andy.

Thanks Andy, I was sure I'd tried that. But maybe I was thinking about live filters.

Congrats on the Launch Day success. You guys really deserve it! 

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.