You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Exporting to PDF

Getting this and no other information.

1545133746_ExportingPDFError.png.e71260505dd8a9edacd744460b6f0397.png

From problem Mac Publisher file. Having trouble with it for a week or so. Keep having to recover, rebuild. Something really screwy with a Designer file or two and Resource Manager. Now this the PDF Error - really screwed at this point.

Had to buy Windows version to get it open. But - windows not an option as the fonts are not transferable and have been on Mac DTP since 1987. (PageMaker, Quark, InDesign and now Publisher). Publisher has given me the most trouble with this file. 94 page book and all the many backups I have done have same issue.

Any log files to look at? Need a "little" more info.

1 hour ago, curtsheller said:

Getting this and no other information.

You didn't say what version of publisher are you on?

Have you upgraded to the latest beta version?

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

Hi @curtsheller - this is no more than a stab in the dark (but from a guy who has been doing support and trouble-shooting of one form or another for longer than some of the participants around here have been out of nappies (or, depending upon where you hail from, diapers)). 

The path indicated in your screenshot looks as if it could be on an external drive.  I've seen a number of reports in recent years of issues - in general - with some apps when saving to external drives.  Could be to do with permissions on the drives, especially if they're network rather than USB drives?  Dunno, but they're out there.

What happens if you simply export to, say, your Desktop in the first instance?  If that doesn't work, is your source Publisher document on your boot drive or is it also on the suspected external drive?  If not, can you make a copy and repeat the test?

—— Gary ——

Photo/Designer/Publisher: Affinity Store, v2.1.1 release

Mac mini (M1, 2020), 16GB/2TB, macOS Ventura 13.4.1(c) • MacBook Pro (Intel), macOS Ventura • Windows 10 via VMware Fusion • iOS: current release

They are on a SSD external drive. I've been having major problems with this one file and have done all kinds of things to resolve issues. I believe it is Resoruce Manaager issues and a Designer file or two.The PDF issue is the first export to PDF issue I've had with this file. Will try you suggestions.

I did try to resolve other issues by putting this in the internal drive. Will try that as well.

Thanks for the help.

I know this error message yet only resulting from a font issue. You could try either/or ...
a) use other fonts
b) export partially (page or selection)
c) convert text to curves before export

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

I am also suspicious of the directory names that show up in that error message. I would try exporting the PDF to a directory path with shorter elements, ideally single-word (without spaces) and with no punctuation (hyphens, spaces, commas, etc.).

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 7/27/2019 at 6:09 PM, walt.farrell said:

I am also suspicious of the directory names that show up in that error message. I would try exporting the PDF to a directory path with shorter elements, ideally single-word (without spaces) and with no punctuation (hyphens, spaces, commas, etc.).

That might be worth trying for the sake of narrowing down the issue, but there is nothing wrong with those directory names for filesystems on Macs. Hyphens, spaces, and commas are no problem in filenames. And, practically speaking, long filenames are also not a problem, since the HFS+ (the default filesystem format for Mac until the recent AFS for SSD) allows 255 characters of UTF-16 characters, with only the colon being a reserved character.

One can even have have a slash in a filename or a folder name. The traditional directory separator on Mac is the colon, and consequently a colon is not allowed in a folder name. The situation gets more complicated from command line, where compatibility with Unix generally is important, but the end user does not need to understand all that.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/29/2019 at 12:40 AM, Jeremy Bohn said:

Could be the font. I got this issue using the font ITC Zapf Dingbats.

I'm inclined to agree with @Jeremy Bohn.

I also have had problems exporting to PDF because of the very same font.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

I just posted in the beta forum about a pdf export problem that gave me exactly the same - no explanation - error. I solved my problem by splitting the export into two blocks of contiguous pages. My theory is that the file is somehow too complex. See if you can export by restricting the number of pages in the export. 

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.