You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Since Affinity has now a complete package of graphics products I felt it might be time to throw out a possibility for a new version of an old product under the Affinity brand!

I'm a big fan of Affinity Designer and "MOVIE PLUS X6" ! I've been using Movie Plus since its inception. I have software from Adobe, Pinnacle and others but none are as versatile as Movie Plus. Its workflow, I find to be, the most efficient and productive of any video editing software. In my humble opinion, with a little updating to handle the newer codecs, it would once again be world class.

I would bet there are others who continue to use Movie Plus both professionally and as a hobbyist. So, I just can't imagine that you folks have given up on video editing and authoring after producing such a stellar product.

• Staff
38 minutes ago, DGillbert said:
Since Affinity has now a complete package of graphics products I felt it might be time to throw out a possibility for a new version of an old product under the Affinity brand!

I'm a big fan of Affinity Designer and "MOVIE PLUS X6" ! I've been using Movie Plus since its inception. I have software from Adobe, Pinnacle and others but none are as versatile as Movie Plus. Its workflow, I find to be, the most efficient and productive of any video editing software. In my humble opinion, with a little updating to handle the newer codecs, it would once again be world class.

I would bet there are others who continue to use Movie Plus both professionally and as a hobbyist. So, I just can't imagine that you folks have given up on video editing and authoring after producing such a stellar product.

Hi DGillbert,

Welcome to the forums :)

We have no plans to release updates for any of the old X range products I'm afraid. At this point in time we don't have any plans to make an Affinity video editor either.

Thanks

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

• 7 months later...

Hi Jaymo,

If you originally registered your copy there is a way, go here https://www.serif.com/en-us/legacy/product-keys/ .

One thing you need to know, since MoviePlus is a legacy product and no longer supported a new installation is no longer fully functional. Serif has turned off the unlock sever for licensed codecs specifically MP4, VOB. Unfortunately, I have to assume that when we purchased the product we did not get a license which is a real problem with me. For me this is BS!!!

It would have been a welcome gesture by Serif if they would give us the option to purchase the licenses when the decision was made to abandon the product.

I discovered this after installing MoviePlus on a new PC several weeks ago. At this point I find only WMV, MOV, MPG and AVI (not using an MP4) codec functional.

As a side note, I suggested to Serif that they should resurrect MoviePlus under the Affinity brand. There response in essence was ' not going to happen anytime soon '.  My understanding the reason for this is the original development team left the company.

My solution to the problem was to purchase Adobe Premier & Photoshop Elements.

Hope this helps.

Best regards...

There are a number of alternative products to choose from, both free and at cost...

A few examples:

• Davinci Resolve (Mac, Linux and Windoze) - steep hardware requirements and steeper learning curve, but one of the most powerful options available, best for color grading in particular
  • HitFilm (Mac, Windoze)
  • Final Cut Pro (Mac only)
  • iMovie (Mac only) - consumer-level editing program
  • Blender (numerous platforms) - not its primary function (it is a 3D graphics package), but people have successfully edited movies with this
  • On1 is supposedly releasing a video editor later this year; not sure what to expect from that one yet.  They claim it targets still photographers who do some video to the side; my guess is that it will be a bit lacking for professional work.

Yes, there are a number of freebee and purchase programs available.

I've been video editing and authoring for more than 20 years. Over this  time period I've downloaded free and purchased many programs. The freebees can be useful for really basic editing but typically there limitations are limiting. Also, most of the them, I've found their user interface (UI) to be non-intuitive and at times clumsy.

Purchasing video software also presents use challenges. I suggest that anyone wanting to replace MoviePlus do a search for reviews of editing software. There are reviews by familiar sites comparing programs. Visit a few off them to see if there is a consensus for a particular program in your price range.

The option one chooses, be it free or buy, really depends upon the level of ease and editing quality one is trying to achieve.

Edited by dgill
correction

Davinci Resolve is not limiting, and is very powerful. I'd agree with you with other apps.  Their Fusion is not more clumsy (IMO) than the very profesional Nuke (also nodes based).

(to the other poster... IMO....Davinci is not that hardware demanding. But benefits crazily even from a medium range CPU card. An integrated GPU is no way with it. I wouldn't either edit video with a laptop, but that's me)

If Davinci is too much complex (ie, the user is looking for a less professional solution, simpler) I'd totally go with Vegas. Really advanced for intermediate users, yet very easy to learn and handle. I used it every day at my last company, and is really nice software. I'd have preferred Premiere like at other places, or Davinci, but was offered only middle-low range video apps (happened at a bunch of companies).

Another one, not my cup of tea, but WAY cheaper (Davinci Resolve's free version is more than enough and much more powerful) a lot of people looking for easier and less professional video editors, Cyberlink's one tends to be a preference for many( I'd choose Vegas over it any day, though). I made entire video game intros at a company with it, better said, a much older and crappier version of it. Despite the subscription model, they have perpetual licenses, purchase. As the other two video editors have.

It depends on what each individual wants to achieve. But if choosing the right range for the planned usage, can't go wrong with any of the three. Davinci Resolve is imo the most robust choice, even the free version. Ordered below from more pro to less:

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.com

https://es.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector-video-editing-software/

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

• 5 months later...

I just purchased Corel Video Studio Ultimate, and it closely mirrors my precious MoviePlus X6, in terms of the user interface. I still have MoviePlus installed but when I had to buy a new laptop, the codes for importing MOV files died with the hard drive. Now to use it, I have to convert every file to WMV to be able to edit it in MoviePlus. Which takes time and time is money. If it's a short file, I would use MoviePlus. I've tried, (with trail versions) a lot of the top 10 video editors and NONE come close to MoviePlus X6. It crashes a bit now, for some reason, but I love it so I'm very patient with it. Listen up Affinity. I bought DrawPlusX5 , PhotoPlus X6 Publisher X8. and WebPlus when I found Serif and always loved getting email from them with the "New Deal of The Month!" I now have Affinity Publisher and waited for that one while Designer and Photo came out first. And I have all intentions of purchasing Photo and Designer soon.

Long Live MoviePlus!!

Edited by David Anthony

David,

You may not be aware that there is an option to export/import unlock codes. The unlock codes are exported to a file using the extension ( .mfu ). Go to Tools / Options / Advanced / Manage Unlock Codes. If you know someone with a full installation may want to contact them.

Best regards...

5 hours ago, dgill said:

If you know someone with a full installation may want to contact them.

That wouldn’t help David, unfortunately. The unlock codes are tied to your product key, so there’s no way to share them with other users.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Never used Affinity Movie PlusX6 or know anything about it...but if you want imho an excellent Movie production and editing software LumaFusion is the way to go.

Use LumaFusion on my iPad Pro and it is abundant with features..and they, like Affinity Devs, constantly work on and add more to the features to keep it a top-notch movie production studio for any type of style. One time low cost purchase like Affinity too.

Is honestly one step away from from having an After Effects styled applications, but most definitely runs equally with Adobe Premier ...and affordable/no sub.