You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Speeding up my workflow....

Hi there guys,

This is just a general question. I'd really like to cut down the time I take to create my creatures and other illustrations and was wondering if anyone had any tips on speeding up my work flow.

I'll explain how I work:

I scan in my pencil sketch and place it in a new document in AD.

I then go over the outlines using the Pen tool. This results in a lot of individual strokes with their own pressure. i don't draw freehand with the vector brush, preferring the control i get with the Pen tool.

I then have to draw shapes under the outlines to create a colour flll for all the different bits of the creature (the arms, teeth, eyes, etc.). This can be quite labourious depending on the complexity of the creature.

Then I add shading and highlights using 2 new pixel layers per shape (one set to Screen, one to Multiply). I can't copy & paste these layers between objects/shapes as something screwy is going on, so I have to create the new layers, set their properties for each and every shape.

Then I add a bit o' spit and polish and then I'm done.

Any shortcuts or tips you guys have would be gratefully received,

Cheers,

George

eejits: a curious collection o' creatures - www.eejits-online.co.uk 

SUPPORT eejits on PATREON. Exclusive Content & Rewards available! www.patreon.com/eejits

Get some awesome unique eejits merchandise at https://www.eejits-online.co.uk/shop

Prehaps keeping a libary/lunchbox of individual arms/legs/torso/head outlines (with or without colouring).

This is what I do, for example in a few pieces of my work, your'll notice the same birds lurking around in the background...

I just import the .adesign from my libary directory and edit from there.

I found that this really reduced design time and generally sped up the whole process.

(I hope I've explained this well enough, and tends to your needs)

www.sincetimebegan.com

Personal Portfolio

Most of my creatures are unique, but they do share some common design elements (especially the eyes). I should probably keep a library. Good shout.

George

SUPPORT eejits on PATREON. Exclusive Content & Rewards available! www.patreon.com/eejits

Get some awesome unique eejits merchandise at https://www.eejits-online.co.uk/shop

Bobaffinity, that may be an aspect or a workflow of the upcoming symbols feature that I believe is in the features roadmap.

ie: If you have an element you use a lot, create a symbol of it and I'm guessing it will be in your symbols palette every time you open up Designer

Good idea, hopefully that sort of thing becomes available in the next few updates.

I think the areas were I spend a lot of time is in outling (which there's nothing that can be done to improve that unless I learn to draw properly on my Cintiq), drawing shapes under the multiple outlines and adding pixel layers to each object.

I used to be able to put 2 pixels layers in under an object, set the styles to Screen & Multiply and then Cmd+C them before painting. Then I could move on the next object Paste in the two empty layers andd crack on. Doing that now, results in the layers one being effecitve for a certian area like they have been clipped. Weird.

Anyhoo, thanks for the conversation so far, I'm always on the look out for new and clever ways to let me work smarter......

Cheers,

George

• 1 month later...