You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Weight of affinity publisher files.

Can anyone explain two things to me:
1. why is there a small difference between the Publisher's file weight - one of linked files, the other with embeded files?
2. Why is there so much weight difference between Affinity files and the file of the same leaflet made in InDesign?

In my opinion, the weight difference is too small.
And the second thing - it's over 8 times heavier file than the InDesign file ...
What will happen with something that in the ID weighs e.g. 200 Mb

THNX

weight embeded.png

weight indesign file.png

weight linked.png

tasma brzegowa fr 2019 FIN.pdf

I made myself a test and a TIF of 15 MB results in 1,99 MB (linked) and 18,7 MB (embedded). What are the file formats for the images you used? I guess you use file formats Publisher tries to interpret / digest / recalculate in some way.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

hi,
I'm using .ai and .psd files, exactly the same as in InDesign.
The pdf file for print has 2.3 Mb, it is fine. This is not about an export file - pdf, tiff etc.

It is the weight of Affinity files. I have hundreds of ID files. Multiply their weight 8 times ... if you convert them to Afiinity :-)

But pay attention to the small difference between Affinity files - linked and ambeded. And, of course, for a very large difference in the weight of Affinity and InDesign files, in which, as you know, the files are only as linked.

7 minutes ago, radek108 said:

But pay attention to the small difference between Affinity files - linked and ambeded. And, of course, for a very large difference in the weight of Affinity and InDesign files, in which, as you know, the files are only as linked.

I know what you wanted to point out. So I made a few more tests. Some file formats Publisher cannot handle well. For instance AI - Publisher needs the PDF stream inside. As for PDF Publisher cannot passthrough and tries to make the AI best possible editable. Placing AI in a document makes no difference in the end whether linked or embedded. Same is for PSD files. Try to replace your PSD with TIF and you will see the difference in file size. A bit more work has to be done with AI files. Getting away from AI resulting smaller file sizes, do it this way: Place the AI, edit (button in task bar), copy the elements, go back to the page, delete AI and paste the elements.

The Affinity products are new, so we do have to look for new workflows. But I am confident it is worth the effort.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Thanks for the hints. I swapped psd for aphoto, and first on pdf, and then on adesigner files.

For information:
for example.
the same file

.ai file - 77 kb
pdf - 386 kb
adesigner - 43 kb

psd - 15.5 Mb
same aphoto file: 7.7 Mb

The result is that the Publisher file is now 40.6 Mb, which is even more :-)

I'm still training. Thanks.

3 minutes ago, radek108 said:

I swapped psd for aphoto

Maybe I had to tell you before. ;) .afphoto / .afdesign increases the file size even more. I think this has something to do with interoperability of these file formats. This could be really a showstopper to some users, because we are not really free to select a file format to keep the Publisher files at an adequate size.

------

I tried with pdf and adesigner - the result is the same - bigger file weight. I need the APhoto format - layers, adjustment etc.
I know, I can do flatten, save as versions and connect the file again.
But maybe this is not the point :-)
I know InDesigna very well, here I am learning. We'll see what's next, but thank you for the tips.

I am learning as well so has Serif to learn, that we / I (sometimes, most of the time) want to simply PLACE the file WITHOUT the necessity to edit the files inside Publisher. I hope that there is someday an option for passthrough.

------

15 hours ago, radek108 said:

2. Why is there so much weight difference between Affinity files and the file of the same leaflet made in InDesign?

Besides their partially very different grades of editability of specific resource file formats, as pointed out by Joachim, I see  NEED FOR SPEED  as a major reason.

If Affinity resources would really just be linked to a resource and would store nothing than its path, then at first opening would take more time, because every resource would need to get read and loaded from scratch. Another reason might be the flexibility you have within Affinity apps via Studio Link – which you don't get in Adobe CS apps. To be prepared for it running smoothly it saves the dates which might be called by the user sooner or later but then immediately.

A nice workaround and feature request without losing those advantages for daily use could be the ability to save an Affinity document in a reduced format for archive storage only, without all these handy built-in and saved-in resources information and nothing than resources file paths. (Compare .indd vs. .idml )

[For instance: an .indd with 200 linked jpgs = 43 MB / whereas as .idml = 330 kB. / Means:  indd 100 % versus  idml 8% ]

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

by the way: @ radek108, what's going on with data/dates in this of your screenshots,
– which says modified BEFORE created ?
– and all together 7 years ago as a comparison to an .afpub of 2019 ? :

538283003_weightindesignfile_ot.png.474eca43adf36140a7a0f642adba408f.png

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1