egor_zzz

Expand stroke incorrect

Hi

I presume that after last update something went really wrong with expanding stroke function. It is completely broken. I have a lot of work to do, but now I just cant do anything.

Any help?

post-2246-0-46390200-1434107596_thumb.png

Hi egor_zzz,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

We are aware of those issues. The Expand Stroke command will be improved soon.

Hi again, is there is any news on fix? As I mentioned my work has stopped and there is no workarounds how to fix it.

Hi egor_zzz,

It's only been 5 days since MEB mentioned there will be a fix, and I only returned from holiday this Monday, so there hasn't been any progress on this so far, sorry. The actual fix needed is not trivial so will require quite a lot of attention: It will get done, but I need time to get it right rather than make things worse.

It is worth seeing if the following works as a temporary workaround (without seeing the file, I can't see what part is failing and creating the problem you're seeing so I'm just guessing):

Select your objects. Go to the Stroke panel and check the 'Scale with object' checkbox. Go to the Transform panel and click the link button to link width and height. Go to the width field and replace the current width with *=100 and press enter. Now go back to the Stroke panel and uncheck 'Scale with object' (I just added this step because I found we have a bug that it goes wrong if this property is checked!!!) Now do the expand stroke. Now go back to the Transform panel and replace the current width with /=100 and press enter. Did that succeed?

Thanks,

Matt

Hi Matt, thanks for the answer.

Unfortunately no. There is still distorted, unparalleled lines.

But I have another bug discovered. After I click scale with object and after scaling width to 100px, my stroke, as usual, scaled from 2px to 4.55 px. But after expanding stroke it jumps back to 2px.

There is plenty of new broken things from the last update.

Hmm, that's odd because I tried it in a new document myself before suggesting it and it worked for me... sorry.

With respect to the 'plenty of new broken things from the last update' - that certainly isn't the intention and it depends what you mean by update from which version to which version as to whether that's even possible or not... If we're talking about the 1.2 to 1.2.1 update then I changed very few things and have been nowhere near any of the code we've spoken about so far.

Sorry you're having issues - as I said, this will get fixed and it is a priority.

Thanks again,

Matt

Hi Matt,

Sorry if my words seemed to be incorrect or some sort of inappropriate to you, I'm just little upset with that.

I mean that this all happened after last update from 1.2 to 1.21 (now, after your words I'm not so sure haha).

I will try to wipe all data and the app and will try to reinstall it. And if it helps, I will back here again.

Thanks you too,

Egor

Perhaps this:

20 hours ago, MattP said:

we are still working through reported bugs from previous releases and hope to fix as many as possible before the final release of 1.7

How is this unsolved (for years and years) issue "pre 1.7". It is more relevant and present than ever.

"Men are like sheep, of which a flock is more easily driven than a single one."

"Experienced vector artists and infographic designers will find a noticeable lack of the more advanced tools found in Illustrator CC." (source)

7 minutes ago, Jowday said:

It is more relevant and present than ever.

In what sense is it more present than four or five years ago? How was it any less relevant then than it is now? :/

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.3.155 • Designer for iPad 1.7.3.1 • iOS 12.4.1 (iPad Air 2)

4 minutes ago, Alfred said:

In what sense is it more present than four or five years ago? How was it any less relevant then than it is now? :/

Emergency room wait times... the more you wait... the more real and urgent it feels.

"Experienced vector artists and infographic designers will find a noticeable lack of the more advanced tools found in Illustrator CC." (source)

On 6/17/2015 at 2:49 PM, MattP said:

Select your objects. Go to the Stroke panel and check the 'Scale with object' checkbox. Go to the Transform panel and click the link button to link width and height. Go to the width field and replace the current width with *=100 and press enter. Now go back to the Stroke panel and uncheck 'Scale with object' (I just added this step because I found we have a bug that it goes wrong if this property is checked!!!) Now do the expand stroke. Now go back to the Transform panel and replace the current width with /=100 and press enter. Did that succeed?

It certainly does work. But how many percent of your customers knows about this work around? A fraction of a fraction? For four long years.

22 hours ago, Jowday said:

It certainly does work. But how many percent of your customers knows about this work around?

No, in many cases you need more than a factor of 200. Well, of course the Affinity Help was not changed despite suggestions for improvement.

22 hours ago, Jowday said:

For four long years.

FYI:

On 30. September 2014 at 2:02 PM, TonyB said:

This will be improved in a future update.

Yes, I know they promised to improve it. For years.

We only have the future. A tiny microscopic portion of it. Minus four years.

image.png.1aabd5086b33f9fc7c76db1ec89d4620.png