You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

GREP search doesn’t search per line

When I use GREP search, and define that I only want to find whole lines by using the ^ and $ signs, this will get ignored. 

In my case, I try to format guitar chord sheets, and give all the chords a pre-defined format. I try to detect the chord lines using following GREP pattern:

^.* {4,}.*$

Although this may not be a perfect pattern, it mostly works, as the chord lines include a tremendous amount of whitespace. This pattern works perfectly in another GREP search I tried. As I specified, I only want to match one line from the beginning (^) to the end ($). When I use search and replace in AP, I get the whole text as a single result, because it includes all the line ends. See attached screenshot. 

Bildschirmfoto 2019-07-21 um 21.42.29.png

You have been affected by some combination of three different things:

1. $ basically refers to the end of a paragraph, not the end of a line. Though, if you have inserted line breaks (shift+enter) it will match at them, too.
  2. The . expression can match the end of a line (line break, or paragraph break).
  3. The .* expression is "greedy" and will match as much as it can. So if you have two paragraphs, and use ^.*$ you match all the text, including the middle paragraph break. You may want to use .*? instead, as the ? makes the expression non-greedy, and it stops the first time it can rather than the last time it can.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks for your answer. Sadly, it still doesn’t make sense to me:

1. I have a paragraph break after every line (in the result you can even see the pilcrow signs). So as you stated the $ should match that.
  2. This is pretty normal for grep, as . matches every character (if it’s not in one-line mode)
  3. I understand, that the standard is greedy. But even if I make the operation lazy as you suggested, the problem is still, that $ doesn’t match the paragraph break, as it should.

If I’m still misunderstanding the concept, could you maybe write me a pattern that does the job correctly, so I can understand how AP’s GREP interpreter is different?

Edit: I attached the file for testing purposes. 

Chords Test.afpub

Edited by rcheetah

Try:

^.*? {4,}.*?$

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Thanks for your answer. I should’ve mentioned that at point 3: I actually tried making the operators lazy like in your pattern, but it doesn’t work either, as $ doesn’t match the paragraph ending. Now it strangely selects only one line of text and one line of chords, although every line has a it’s own paragraph ending.

4 hours ago, rcheetah said:

Thanks for your answer. I should’ve mentioned that at point 3: I actually tried making the operators lazy like in your pattern, but it doesn’t work either, as $ doesn’t match the paragraph ending. Now it strangely selects only one line of text and one line of chords, although every line has a it’s own paragraph ending.

OK, I misunderstood what you want. You're trying to get only the lines with chord letters, not the paired lines that my suggestion gives.

With a bit more experimenting I have found something else that I think is a bug, which I will report separately. But this selects just the chord lines:

(?-s)^.* {4,}.*$

The (?-s) at the beginning prevents "." from matching the end of line/paragraph. And setting that option also seems to remove the need to make the ".*" non-greedy.

-- Walt
PC:

5 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

(?-s)^.* {4,}.*$

The (?-s) at the beginning prevents "." from matching the end of line/paragraph. And setting that option also seems to remove the need to make the ".*" non-greedy.

Thank you very much! This pattern does work now :) although I still don’t understand why. 
Would you be so kind to explain
 (?-s) to me? Does this have a name? I couldn't find it in my regex cheatsheet. Is it something specifically for AP? I’d like to understand it, so I can prevent similar mistakes in the future. 

Also does this mean $ not matching a paragraph ending is intentional behavior? Or is it a bug? It seems pretty odd to me. I would totally understand if it doesn’t match a wrapped line obviously, and also if it would not match a line break. But not matching a paragraph break seems absurd to me, I simply don’t understand this behavior. 

First, $ is matching the end of a paragraph. The entire problem with your (and my) earlier attempts was that . matches an end-of-paragraph, too.

So, in the expression (made non-greedy)

^.*? {4,}.*?$

you were expecting:

1. ^ to match the beginning of a line or paragraph (and it does).
  2. .*? to match some unspecified characters (and it does).
  3.  {4,} (that is, a space followed by {4,} to match 4 or more spaces.
  4. .*? to match more unspecified characters.
  5. and finally, $ to match the end of a line or paragraph (and it does).

The problem comes in at step 2. Consider the first 2 lines of your text (corrected to make sure there are 4 spaces in the second line):

Intro
G    C

There's a paragraph break at the end of each of those, so in regex terms it could be thought of as looking like this:

Intro$
G    C$

You were expecting that the regex would not match the first line at all, as it has no spaces in it.

In fact, though, at step 2 the .*? matched "Intro$G" because the . can match anything, even the end-of-line or paragraph break. Then at step 3 the 4 or more spaces matched the "    C". At step 4 the .*? matches the empty string, and finally at step 5 the $ matches the $

Thus, the issue is really the fact that . can match the end-of-line, which allowed the expression to match from the beginning of line 1, rather than from the beginning of line 2.

The fix was to insert (?-s) at the beginning. You can find an explanation for (?....) in several places. (?-s) is simply one of the variants of that general form:

Basically, the (? signals the start of a modifier. The - negates the modifier (turns off a switch) and the s is the switch that is turned off. The s switch tells the regex processor whether . should match the end-of-line (or end-of-paragraph, in Publisher). When processing regular expressions Publisher sets the flag on, allowing . to match end-of-line and end-of-paragraph, so if you don't want it to you have to turn that flag off.

-- Walt
PC:

Forgot to mention this part: Once the flag is set so that . doesn't match end-of-line or end-of paragraph, the processing works (even with greedy matching), as follows:

1. ^ matches the beginning of the first line.

2. .* to match some unspecified characters.

3.  {4,} (that is, a space followed by {4,} to match 4 or more spaces doesn't match anything.

Thus, the first line fails the match, and Find starts looking at the second line, where:

1. ^ matches the beginning of the line.
  2. .* matches the G.
  3.  {4,} matches the spaces after the G.
  4. .* matches the C
  5. and finally $ matches the end of paragraph.

-- Walt
PC:

You're welcome.

-- Walt
PC: