You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Master pages in publisher not applied

Doing my first book layout with Publisher. I have a master page set up but no matter how I try to apply it to a page in the document nothing happens.

I have to modify each individual page to have the changes applied.

What am I missing?

51 minutes ago, oneearth said:

Doing my first book layout with Publisher. I have a master page set up but no matter how I try to apply it to a page in the document nothing happens.

I have to modify each individual page to have the changes applied.

What am I missing?

I would need to know if the Master Page is the same size as the spreads in the Publisher file. I would need to know what you have on the Master Page. I would need to know if it is Mac or Windows.

Could you attach the file? I think with two posts you are allowed to do so.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

3 hours ago, oneearth said:

Simple question: how do I globally change the page size of a document?

File > Spread Setup

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 months later...

I cannot change dimensions of all document pages using any of your suggestions. Page will only change size by highlighting thumbnail and selecting spread properties and entering new dimensions. Nothing works globally.

This means I must INDIVIDUALLY change 110 pages... most impractical.

2 minutes ago, oneearth said:

Page will only change size by highlighting thumbnail and selecting spread properties

Selected all pages in your document then.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

Then what's the point of having a check box that says "all pages" in the spread panel menu?

I find that only the thumbnails visible in the list that can be highlighted at one time will change as you state... that seems to be the ritual. Highlighting all the thumbnails does not work for me... I tried that first.

5 minutes ago, oneearth said:

Then what's the point of having a check box that says "all pages" in the spread panel menu?

I find that only the thumbnails visible in the list that can be highlighted at one time will change as you state... that seems to be the ritual. Highlighting all the thumbnails does not work for me... I tried that first.

If you use Spread Setup and choose All Spreads then the dimensions you specify should be applied to all the spreads in your document. If that's not happening, perhaps you have found a bug. Can you provide more information on what you're doing? Screenshots or a video? And possibly the .afpub file that has the problem?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

"Spread Setup choose All Spreads" only changes the ONE highlighted in thumbs for me.

The work-around I found is to select only the thumbs that are visible in list and apply spread properties to several pages. Selecting the entire thumb list is ignored.

Thanks for the reply btw.

publisher_grab.jpg

Are you using File > Spread Setup or the equivalent Spread Setup from the Move Tool's Context Toolbar?

Or are you right-clicking and using Spread Properties? The right-click method only affects the selected spreads, as I would expect. But the other two methods change all the spreads (if I say All Spreads) for me.

-- Walt
PC:

File > Spread Setup only changes selected page even though I select checkbox all pages.

right-clicking and using Spread Properties on thumb list does change sizes of selected pages, but only those visible in the list. Thumbs out of sight (above or below list border) are not changed even when highlighted.

15 minutes ago, oneearth said:

File > Spread Setup only changes selected page even though I select checkbox all pages.

right-clicking and using Spread Properties on thumb list does change sizes of selected pages, but only those visible in the list. Thumbs out of sight (above or below list border) are not changed even when highlighted.

Are you on Mac or Windows?

-- Walt
PC:

So, maybe it's a Mac-related issue.

-- Walt
PC: