You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Color blindness feature would be very helpful!

I just made up an ad (in Designer) for publishing in print, and my husband suggested that we need to see how it would look to a colorblind reader. It would be VERY helpful to have that in all the Affinity products!

I do have ColorSchemer Studio, which does have the function of showing how your chosen colors would look to someone with different kinds of color vision problems. But I can't load my ad into it and see how the gradients would look, for instance. Maybe someone has such a program, and I'll go looking for one. But it would sure be great if I could check it within Affinity programs! Maybe you could find a developer who's doing this and pay him to incorporate his product into the global Affinity program.

​Sharon

20 minutes ago, CatLady said:

I just made up an ad (in Designer) for publishing in print, and my husband suggested that we need to see how it would look to a colorblind reader. It would be VERY helpful to have that in all the Affinity products!

I do have ColorSchemer Studio, which does have the function of showing how your chosen colors would look to someone with different kinds of color vision problems. But I can't load my ad into it and see how the gradients would look, for instance. Maybe someone has such a program, and I'll go looking for one. But it would sure be great if I could check it within Affinity programs! Maybe you could find a developer who's doing this and pay him to incorporate his product into the global Affinity program.

An interesting idea. This could be a function of the 'Softproof' adjustment layer.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

That is interesting - as I am very colourblind - I see in colour but it is shifted all over the place.

Grass is orange.

UK Traffic lights are Orange, Red, White (from top) - there are so many forms of colour blindness that it is very difficult to predict how it would be seen.

What looks good to someone with RED/GREEN won't work for those with Blue/Green vision - so just (in my opinion) make sure the text is a clear shade from the background and the colourblind will have to deal with it!

7 minutes ago, Gilescooperuk said:

Grass is orange.

UK Traffic lights are Orange, Red, White (from top) - there are so many forms of colour blindness that it is very difficult to predict how it would be seen.

I’m curious to know how you determined that the colour you see when looking at grass is what most people call orange! And if green grass looks orange to you, why doesn’t a green traffic light also look orange (instead of white)? :/

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4 (iPad 7th gen)

It sounds odd to a lot of people, but it is the case.

A cat5 (Ethernet) cable has 4 solid colours and 4 stripes. They are red blue orange and green, or to me red blue orange and orange. As I am a network engineer it can be an issue.

grass is a completely different colour to plant leaves which are mostly green.

the intensity and shade makes a difference, the brightness of the green traffic light bleaches all the colour from it.

Green, brown, orange wiring is a nightmare and as for a resistor colour code....

you have to adapt, hence why there is a spyder5 on the Mac, and an expensive Calibrated colour printer. The pictures look odd to me but everyone else things they are great...

it is a strange (to you lot) world I see but for me it is the same way I have seen things for 46 years

Sadly, there's no date on the posting (linked) so "soon" means nothing in relation to the release of reviewed profiles. It might be worth contacting ICC to find out the state of using color profiles (in combo with the SoftProof aspect of the Affinity tools) to get the desired result: http://www.color.org/resources/cvd.xalter

https://bmb.photos | Focus: The unexpected, the abstract, the extreme on screen, paper, & other physical outputTools: macOS (Primary: Ventura, MBP2018), Canon (Primary: 5D3), iPhone (Primary: 14PM), Nikon Film Scanners, Epson Printers

23 hours ago, Alfred said:

I’m curious to know how you determined that the colour you see when looking at grass is what most people call orange! And if green grass looks orange to you, why doesn’t a green traffic light also look orange (instead of white)? :/

How do you not know that you are all colour blind and I am seeing things correctly ?

and how do you know what other people see compared to your own vision?

17 minutes ago, Gilescooperuk said:

How do you not know that you are all colour blind and I am seeing things correctly ?

I don’t!

17 minutes ago, Gilescooperuk said:

and how do you know what other people see compared to your own vision?

How do you know? That was, essentially, my original question.

Oh, and what did you mean by

3 hours ago, Gilescooperuk said:

grass is a completely different colour to plant leaves which are mostly green.

in your previous post? I’m sure you must know that blades of grass are (the upper parts of) plant leaves, and that they are also mostly green — except when desiccation strikes, of course, but the same applies to other kinds of leaves.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

Hi,

Photo contains some LUTs to help with colour blindness - both simulation and Daltonisation are included. They are available as presets for the LUT adjustment, in the Adjustments panel. If these would be useful for Designer / Publisher - perhaps more generally as some sort of View -> Preview mode, I am sure that can be arranged :)

Hope this helps,

A

• 2 weeks later...