You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Left indent start from left side of page !!!!!!

Hi all,

I just experienced very weird behaviour when setting text indents.

First, place a text frame on the page. Then type some text which takes two or more rows just to see what I mean.

Secondly, create a style for the text and set a left indent of 20 mm (can be any value).

Thirdly, apply the text style to your text.

You will see that Publisher count from the left edge to the page and indent 20 mm from there.

I see clearly what happens because my text frame has a blue background. In fact, I took a rounded rectangle and just converted it to a text frame.

In my opinion, the indent should start from the left side of the text frame. Which in this case is clearly not the case. I find this a serious bug or flawed thinking of the development team.

Anybody else experiences this or if you disagree with me, feel free.

Chris

Hi again,

I just found another bug in this dialogue. If you change the "Left indent" field" then the value of "First line indent" changes too. In my case the value for First line indent became 10 when I changed Left Indent to 20.

How can the First line indent value change when only changing the Left indent value?

How will I ever get this job done in time?

Chris

I restarted the laptop and everything is fine again. Now indents start from the start of the text frame not the start of the page. However, I still do not expect the first line indent to change with the left indent.

When I choose a value of 20 for the left indent, I expect the first line indent to be 0 and in that case, it should start at the same position as the left indent. Nevertheless, now I know it is easier to deal with.

Chris

1 hour ago, Bad_Wolf said:

When I choose a value of 20 for the left indent, I expect the first line indent to be 0 and in that case, it should start at the same position as the left indent.

It should work fine as long as you set the Left indent first, then set the First-line indent.

If you do it in the other order, setting First-line indent first, then it seems that when you set the Left-indent the First-line indent gets the Left-indent added to it. I'm not sure if that is correct, but it's easily fixed.

If you think you've found a bug you should probably post in the relevant Publisher Bugs forum for either MacOS or Windows.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hello Walt,

Thank you for your reply and you are again correct. First setting the "Left indent" and then the "First line indent" solve the problem. Maybe Serif should put first the "Left Indent" field and then "First line indent".

I do not think it is a bug, because when doing it in your order, everything works fine.

Chris