You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi, I'm new to the Affinity family of products, having bought Affinity Photo.

Is it possible to get a poster but only with the standard size of paper in my printer with any of Affinity's programs? In Corel Draw: I was able to stitch the tiles together after printing, to make the poster.

Which of your programs is closest to the overall functionality of Corel Draw? I'd like to switch over to Affinity.

Is there a way to see a comparison of all three programs, as they seam to have overlapping features? I'd like to see especially what makes Designer and Publisher unique from each other (differences) but also Photo.

Edited by Batty

• Staff

Hi Batty,

Welcome to the forums :)

I'm glad to hear you're interested in the Affinity range! We don't have any direct feature for print stitching, however in Affinity Designer you could create a document, for example, 4 times larger than A4 paper and then using the Export Persona create 4 slices of the document, each at A4 size, exporting them to PDF and then printing externally - although I haven't tried this personally.

7 hours ago, Batty said:

Which of your programs is closest to the overall functionality of Corel Draw? 

Affinity Designer is closest, you can try a free 10 day trial here!

7 hours ago, Batty said:

Is there a way to see a comparison of all three programs, as they seam to have overlapping features?

We don't have any videos or articles specifically outlining this, however you can also download a free 10 day trial of Affinity Publisher here and test the whole suite at once to see what fits your workflow best :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

22 hours ago, Batty said:

Is there a way to see a comparison of all three programs

Not official one. But here's short summary:

Photo - for all photo, bitmap, raster editing needs (like Photoshop or Corel Photo Paint)

Designer - for all things vector (it's middle ground between technical capabilities of Corel Draw and artistic Illustrator)

Publisher - for putting all above togheter in publications like books, multi page leaflets, brochures etc.

Features overlap due to interchangeability of file formats, so you can edit Designer file in Photo or vice versa, but each program has it's own general purpose

Thanks a lot for your help. Having tested all programs now, I'm going to buy into everyone. I hope that the corellike poster print will be implemented with interactivity like in Corel, so that one can adjust the size and position of a print in a print preview window - for normal print as well as print stitching -. The latter is now the only reason for which I can't entirely ditch Corel Draw.

But everything else feels so much better :) Thanks.

Just a last question: only full version numbers are making an upgrade that has to be paid necessary, as far as I could find out. But how much does one of those cost usually for all 3 programs?

• Staff
5 minutes ago, Batty said:

only full version numbers are making an upgrade that has to be paid necessary, as far as I could find out. But how much does one of those cost usually for all 3 programs?

All 1.x updates will be offered free of charge, when we release version 2 it will likely be priced similarly as version 1, however as we've not yet gotten to this point in Affinitys history I couldn't guarantee the cost of this currently - or whether we'll offer discount for previous owners.

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Got it, Dan. But just to add my 5 cents ;p : as you are not rewriting the whole programs from scratch, it would feel a bit off to charge fully for those who brought them already. A difference should be there between new buyers and loyal customers. We're all used to these politics in the Software market; even tho your Programs are very fairly priced to begin with. But maybe you should start a poll before deciding ;) In my experience this could get hot, if not handled carefully.

Thanks for your help.

*Goes to learn using Affinity now :)*

• Staff

Thanks for your input, of course this decision isn't mine to make but I certainly understand where you're coming from. I'll be certain to pass your comments through to the relevant team :)

Please note -

Many thanks!