You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I am unable to get the spellchecker working in any of the Affinity apps.

Discovered it after installing Publisher and it is as if no spellchecker is installed, whether in Publisher or Designer.

Spellchecker OK in other programs.

Any ideas???

Windows 10, 64bit

For SpellChecking to work you need to make sure that the spelling language is properly set for the text that you enter. It should default to the User Interface language that you specified in your Affinity Preferences (General section). But to check that, enter some text into a Text Frame, and with the cursor in the text open the Character studio panel and expand the Language section of the panel. Do you have the correct language specified for Spelling?

Next: Are you trying with text that you've typed, or text that you've Placed, or that you have entered using copy/paste?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thank you for pointing the direction.

Although all was set to English (United Kingdom), the Spelling in the Charater Studio came up Unknown (en-AU), which is what Windows is set to, but doesn't seem to affect other programs.

It was only after saving/synchronising a document defaults that the spellchecker finally worked. I then had to do the same in Designer and Photo.

A bit of a trap with nothing in HELP to assist.

But it is now working - many thanks.

Ben

• 2 years later...

I am having the same problem with the spell checking set to UK english but a message popping up saying "Unsupported Languages - Document contains languages (en-AU) for which the dictionary is installed".

I am not understanding anyone's post above about this.  Can someone please step me through this?

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

Hi @Graphics Chris,

I'm sorry to hear you feel this way, and that you did not receive a response here.

I can see you had posted in a 2 year old thread, and therefore it's likely that these users were no longer receiving notifications for these posts - although it's certainly not a 'written rule', I would always recommend creating a new thread if you cannot find a similar issue which is less than 1 year old.

On 8/4/2021 at 1:28 AM, Graphics Chris said:

I am having the same problem with the spell checking set to UK english but a message popping up saying "Unsupported Languages - Document contains languages (en-AU) for which the dictionary is installed".

Can you please confirm for me, as I'm not 100% certain from your post above - are you looking to add an en_AU dictionary to the app, or are you looking to set this text to en_UK, for which you already have an installed dictionary?

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• 1 year later...
  • Staff

Hi @TandurDesign,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums :)

Can you please provide a screenshot of the issue you're having?

Are you using Windows, macOS or iPadOS with Affinity?

Many thanks in advance!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Hi @Moderators, I'm using Windows and don't have the spellchecker working while importing copy from Word, the message I get when trying to spell check is
Unsupported Languages
Document contains languages (en-AU) for which no dictionary is installed.

So I have downloaded Australian Dictionary and installed it in Affinity but still doesn't recognize the language.

Thank you

Anna

10 minutes ago, TandurDesign said:

So I have downloaded Australian Dictionary and installed it in Affinity but still doesn't recognize the language.

Please show us: 

1. a screenshot from File Explorer showing the directory you installed the dictionaries into, and the files it contains.

2. A screenshot of your Affinity Preferences, Tools dialog. 

Also, where did you download the dictionary from? Directly from GitHub or from the second post in the  Dictionary FAQ?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Thanks, @TandurDesign.

I do not see a screenshot from File Explorer to see the installed files.

The file you attached is not a dictionary file. I'm not sure what it is or  where you got it from. Please download the files from the second post in the dictionary FAQ and install them as instructed in the first post of that FAQ.

-- Walt
PC:

You're welcome. Good luck with the Mac :) 

-- Walt
PC: