You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Save for web function in Affinity Photo?

14 hours ago, John Fleet said:

Does Affinity Photo have an equivalent of Photoshop's 'Save for Web' option?

Short answer: No, it does not.

Longer answer: Among other things, there is no preview for the export & no built-in support for JPEG (or PNG) optimizations.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

4 minutes ago, John Fleet said:

That's a shame - but I'm intrigued by the suggestion that there is a File>Export>JPG>Optimise sequence. I don't see those options on my iMac....

There is no such feature in Affinity Photo at this time.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

The Export Persona offers some similar things here, there are JPG (high, mid, low) quality preset selection options.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

1 minute ago, v_kyr said:

The Export Persona offers some similar things here, there are JPG (high, mid, low) quality preset selection options.

They are not the same as the file size optimization algorithms available in some apps, for example ImageOptim for Macs or those listed in the https://imageoptim.com/versions link.

Affinity Photo 

6 minutes ago, John Fleet said:

thanks - I'm aware of these options but they are not really comparable with Photoshops 'Save for Web' option particularly without the preview facility which it offers which allows you to see what the resulting JPEG is going to look like....

No sadly the Affinity products don't offer any such preview facility.

4 minutes ago, R C-R said:

They are not the same as the file size optimization algorithms available in some apps, for example ImageOptim for Macs or those listed in the https://imageoptim.com/versions link.

And you think Photoshop's 'Save for Web' option does all those optimizations.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

7 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

And you think Photoshop's 'Save for Web' option does all those optimizations.

I am sure it does not use all of them -- it would take forever to export if it did. But it clearly does create smaller files than Affinity Photo so it is safe to assume it is using some combination of compression algorithms (probably dynamically) to do that.

Affinity Photo 

• 2 months later...
On 7/21/2019 at 3:12 PM, John Fleet said:

thanks - I'm aware of these options but they are not really comparable with Photoshops 'Save for Web' option particularly without the preview facility which it offers which allows you to see what the resulting JPEG is going to look like....

This is needed. Especially for saving images for web use. The Preview in Photoshop makes it very easy to fine tune the quality options and format (PNG, Gif, Jpeg) to get the best result vs best file size.

Also When changing the dimensions (with ratio locked) the other dimension doesn't adjust automatically.
I'm guessing more work is needed on this part of the app.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/25/2019 at 12:29 PM, Donuk said:

I may  be wrong but I think Photoshop strips out unnecessary metadata when saving for the web.  Would that be a useful feature in Affinity?

Export > More for JPEG exports already includes options not to include metadata and/or ICC profiles.

Affinity Photo 

• 2 years later...
2 hours ago, hibner said:

Is there any plan to support this functionality? We'd really love to move over from PS but Save for Web is a pretty critical part of our workflow...

I do not think they plan to add that, & in fact Adobe itself now considers it to be a 'legacy' command.

Affinity Photo 

It's been considered legacy for several generations, I believe Adobe will keep it since it's clearly foundational for many workflows.

I'm having a hard time understanding why a feature like this wouldn't be added, can someone shine some light there? How are you previewing your exports, for example?

Even apps like Acorn have this functionality so I don't think it's obscure by any means...

I think that Acorn and PS are about the only ones using this outdated feature. I checked a couple of editors I have installed. Corel PSP and Jasc PSP do not have anything like Web Optimization. This is my opinion, to add this to AP would not be improving the app, instead regressing.

When I did use PS, I recall the Web Optimization, and was not impressed. It done nothing more than what could be done (even better) not using it. I think it was just a one-click compression gimmick. ;)

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

16 hours ago, hibner said:

can someone shine some light there? How are you previewing your exports,

There's a Preview button in the File > Export dialogue

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

16 hours ago, hibner said:

I'm having a hard time understanding why a feature like this wouldn't be added, can someone shine some light there?

As I understand it, around 7 years ago Adobe decided there would be no further development for 'save for web' because it was based on old, inefficient code, & because the need to reduce JPEG file sizes to the minimum possible for web pages had become increasingly less important as internet download speeds increased, computers became more powerful & better able to handle larger files, screen resolutions increased making artifacts due to large amounts of compression more objectionable, & so on.

I do not know to what if any extent any of this might have influenced Serif's decision not to add a similar feature; however, there are dozens of other features that people have requested be added to the Affinity apps, & it seems this one is not one a lot of them have asked for.  

Affinity Photo 

47 minutes ago, hibner said:

Yikes - that preview window is tiny!

You can make the preview window larger, and zoom, pan, scroll using modifier keys.

https://affinity.help/photo/en-US.lproj/pages/Sharing/export.html

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

6 hours ago, Ron P. said:

You can make the preview window larger, and zoom, pan, scroll using modifier keys.

It isn't obvious because for some reason the preview window is not treated like a regular window, but all the zoom keyboard shortcuts also work with it, even though they are greyed out in the View > Zoom submenu.

Affinity Photo