You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

My first vector image and first project in AD for iPad

LastGrasp

This is the mascot for my bicycle club Street Punx NYC. The mascot is based basically an old cartoon character I used to draw called The Brown Recluse, I retired him about 8 years ago and he reared his ugly head to volunteer his services for this club. I was inking a rough sketch (I'm rusty as hell, honestly) while sitting in a Starbucks (like a dirty hipster) when my brush pen dropped and splattered ink on the drawing. I was about to scrap it but decided to take a pic of it and give AD a shot. It started of looking like trash, and as I was playing around with the tools and options I was able to tweak the design more and more...this began last Friday.... I've been glued to this iPad since, making crazy adjustment and fine tuning and trying to figure out how to use this app to rebuild my protfolio.

This is still a work in progress... because I'm still figuring out how to operate this software...

This is the initial photo I took to show the club members how I screwed up the drawing...they suggested white out, but I'd rather drink it than shame my family by using it on my work (kidding, obviously). Super rough sketches.

7290EF04-FA3B-4945-A6CD-00419FFD977B.jpeg

15AE8F18-9928-4057-9525-6A47234BBE28.jpeg

Edited by LastGrasp
Added image

These are screenshots of the initial process of giving vectoring a shot because I refuse to use white-out... and in my opinion, this drawing is absolute garbage.

90D6E8D4-C839-420D-8867-D7F10E4C4D96.png

B80226CA-DEDC-4D10-A8F3-0770764D09A5.png

Edited by LastGrasp
Forgot the second image file

Good work. Not the easiest thing moving into all vector. One must pretty much think in layers instead of strokes and fills. A bigger tool kit than pencil, paper and eraser.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

On 7/23/2019 at 10:15 AM, gdenby said:

Good work. Not the easiest thing moving into all vector. One must pretty much think in layers instead of strokes and fills. A bigger tool kit than pencil, paper and eraser.

Thank you. Yes, it is a completely different set of tools for sure. But I am used to it from using GIMP and Inkscape for 10 years. But to actually vector an image, this was the first time I was actually able to get it done to this degree. I don't know why Inkscape was so difficult to get used to. Now, I can sorta use it. To me, AD is absolutely amazing...and on an iPad? Psshh