You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Sharpness enhancement with detail refinement gets lost during Raw development

Hi guys,

I came across the subsequent issue: I open a Raw image in affinity photo and edit the image until I am happy. However, if I then develop the Raw image, the image changes significantly. Especially the sharpness improvement I achieved with the "Detail Refinement" seems to get lost completely.

Here is an example to illustrate the problem:

Unedited Raw image:

1.thumb.PNG.bedc60e942fc31dc5dd3cd989f619015.PNG 

Edited (only sharpened) Raw image:

2.thumb.PNG.6e1c825b6d28b46d8340f90a92bda5fa.PNG

After developing the Raw image:

3.thumb.PNG.4877592e29f08c798574a78883cdc469.PNG

Do I have to make any changes in the settings, so that the image looks the same, prior to and after pressing develope?

How did you create those 'raw images'? A raw image is not printable. I would guess that what you have  uploaded is actually a screenshot. This would not mean much to us unless you had it 100% on your screen.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

1 hour ago, Dalgo said:

Yes, I uploaded screenshots from what was displayed to me in affinity photo on my laptop screen.

And were they with the image at 100%? You don't need the entire image on the screen, just those parts where you need to see the detail.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

10 hours ago, Dalgo said:

Yeah, the screenshots above show the entire image.

When I said 100%, I meant 100% zoom, that is one pixel on your image corresponds to one pixel on the screen. You can zoom in by clicking Ctrl/Cmd-1. You will see that the label on the tab at the top left of the image will say 100% (amongst other things):. This is a screenshot of a raw file freshly loaded into Affinity.01RawOriginal.png.802f7714ff0ed5eec52c3a6bbfa6a0b7.png

When you upload your image, the Forum software may resize your image to ensure that it fits on the screen. This will destroy the 100% zoom and makes it difficult to compare images. I suggest that you take your screenshots with the onscreen image at 100%, then select the same rectangular area from each of you three images which show the detailed area. I would suggest cropping to about 640 by 480. These should upload without distortion. I attach below a cropped area from your first image, just to show areas which I assume you would like sharpened.

OPCropped.png.19b1b818fbf12268450e4edb98302d4a.png

John

I took a closer look at that issue and compared what is displayed on my screen prior and after the raw development for different zooms. While I can identify a change during the raw development for a zoom smaller 100 %, I actually cannot see any change if I zoome to 100%. Is there any explenation for that? Is that why you wanted me to take screenshots with 100% zoom?

54 minutes ago, Dalgo said:

Is that why you wanted me to take screenshots with 100% zoom?

Yes, in the upper corner under "Develop" it should show 100% (see attachment).
What settings did you use for the detail refinement ?

Detail refinement.jpg

Affinity Photo  2.3.1

Laptop MSI Prestige PS42
Windows 11 Home 23H2 (Build 22631.3007) - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz   2.00 GHz - RAM 16,0 GB

• Staff
On 7/22/2019 at 9:33 AM, Dalgo said:

Is there any explenation for that? Is that why you wanted me to take screenshots with 100% zoom?

Hi Dalgo :)

Viewing the document at 100% zoom will always display the pixels at their true value, when viewing the document from 'further away' (ie at a lower zoom percentage) you may find that certain effects and changes made to your image display differently than they do at 100%. 

This is because Affinity applications use mitmaps mipmaps, meaning any document previewed at less than 100% zoom will have a mitmap mipmap created and this is displayed instead, this is done for both speed/performance purposes, as well as under 100% zoom the image must be resampled to 'fit' on your screen, hence a mitmap mipmap is used. I hope this helps!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

38 minutes ago, Dan C said:

This is because Affinity applications use mitmaps ...

How does that differ from MIPMaps? xD

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff
8 minutes ago, R C-R said:

How does that differ from MIPMapsxD

I'd like to say I have a reason for this one, but I can't use any excuse other than general ignorance... Thanks R C-R :$

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!