You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I created a text box and for some reason it came in by default with a gray background color. Using the color picker only seems to change text color. I found an old post that said go to the Character panel (menu Text ▹ Show Character, Background box) to change the color but I have been unable to find the character panel. I am unable to find a menu of the available tool panels. I expected them to be under the window menu but there is nothing under there. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thank you

For which Affinity app? - Usually those panels (for Character, Textstyle etc.) are found under the "View > Studio > ..." menu hierarchy.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

8 minutes ago, V Silly said:

I went to studio menu but I do not see a selection for text frame.

That option is only available in Affinity Publisher. For Designer the Character panel offers rudimentary support ...

textbox.jpg.e6647a9917c0118e78873652229c54c2.jpg

... which isn't optimal for text frames here. Thus you might want to create a background colored rect of the size of the text frame and place a text frame on those instead and group.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

Well I found a workaround, I made a new rectangle and made sure the background color was transparent before turning it into a text box. So I guess I'm under control here although I still don't know how to change the color of an existing text box background. Thank you

See my above description addition. Make a colored filled rectangle of the same size as the text box (text frame), place it underneath and group the whole, so it stays together.

Not sure what you have setup before or how your doc looks like, but if there is some background already try the Characters panel shown above and set the right color swap to transparent.

Right color swap in the character panel seems to affect directly behind type only and does not change the color of the text box. The only way I have found to do this so far is to set the rectangle color prior to turning it into a text box.

Yes Designer still has some shortcomings related to these things.

• 2 years later...

Apologies for the necrothread resurrection, but having come across this myself I thought I'd post the fix I found in case it helps anyone.

In my case I suspect the grey background I had came from opening an SVG in Designer that perhaps had a text box colour set. I couldn't find a way to remove this within Designer, but I could open the file in Publisher and go to the Text Frame panel in there. Remove, save, re-open in Designer.

I guess another option would be to use the StudioLink persona in Publisher to access the Designer tools. However, I'd love to see better text frame options directly in Designer in the future.