You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Two overlapping transparent circles

Hello to all,

I'm using Affinity Designer, I have two partially overlapping circles, both transparent and with borders at 4pt, I have make need that the part of the circle below of circle at front is not visible, keeping the transparency of both, how can I do?

Thanks

Dan

circles.jpg

Hi,

If you Convert to Curves the circle, you can then select the 2 nodes that overlap the second circle and break the curve from the Action settings on the context toolbar, deleting the part you don't want or changing the fill to none.

Capture2.PNG

1. Cut the yellow circle to the clipboard and paste it back in again.

2. Select both circles and choose ‘Geometry > Divide’

7363270E-1777-4F11-A5A5-CA876C9F42A0.jpeg.2a88db1690d44412d21d7b8207ff46a3.jpeg

3. Delete the two yellow shapes

.D10E2F95-C67E-40BB-8EF1-411B92A8D169.jpeg.c8f6f0d681913b66eb5bd1864bf198cb.jpeg

4. Paste the yellow circle on top

8917BAF6-78EA-49BA-A157-E25252B369D8.jpeg.0213b6fbb4868a09d8742e4ae51e9615.jpeg

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I wished we had a circle tool that allows open/partially circles like almost any vector.apps have  I can think of including good´ol Freehand.

All these "solutions" are just workarounds in my opinion.

If the user needs to export he will pretty much need to:

1. double yellow circle

2. select yellow+white circles

3. Expand stroke

4. Boolean subtract

5. use Node tool to select point from inner part - cmd+A to select all connected point - and Delete 

6. select yellow circle and Expand Stroke

1 minute ago, haakoo said:

??

What @PixelPest means is that you don’t get a circular arc (i.e. an open curve). Although a ‘Donut’ looks like an arc when the hole radius is set to 100%, it’s actually a closed curve comprising two identical arcs on top of each other and joined at the ends.

Alfred spacer.png

4 minutes ago, haakoo said:

Maybe not in the real vector sense but visibly it is.

That’s the important point: it’s only an open arc in visual terms. In reality it loops back on itself and it’s still a closed curve, which may cause problems when you try to perform certain vector operations (e.g. joining curves).

Alfred spacer.png

Does using the pie shape have the same problems - ie not really the tool to create open\partial circles by deleting the two straight segments without potentially causing problems down the line?

In the orginal post, for the red circle 'convert to pie' in context menu, adjust start and end angles, convert to curves break the straight segments using node tool and delete.

Yes it's pretty much the same, it’s too still a closed curve. 

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Sorry for being a bit dumb, but how can you tell it's a closed curve? Is there a test?

When I look at the svg file, there is a path defined (not a shape). The start and end points seem different if you've converted to curves and delete the straight segments.

Thanks

For the closed curve, those shapes when used to build a circle or a circle segment (arc) etc. are a bunch of nodes forming sort of an outline curve representation. See the above video capture PixelPest showed, it demonstrates the curved outline form of those. So those aren't build of just a thick single line, but instead of many nodes which form sort of an outline shape. - You can inspect those things with the Node tool.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

So I understand that in any case I lose my original shape, if in the future I have to move the white circle I can't and I'll have to redesign it.

Anyway thank you all for the participation, you're all fabulous for the help, I will not stop asking help for other problems, many many thanks :11_blush:

Dan

20 minutes ago, danilop said:

So I understand that in any case I lose my original shape, if in the future I have to move the white circle I can't and I'll have to redesign it.

If you want to be able to move either circle, don’t give them a transparent fill. Give them both (or at least the top one) a fill that matches the background.

Alfred spacer.png