You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Exporting an object - need help

I am using Designer to design web icons. I am not a graphic designer, so my icons are pretty basic, but they get to job done.

With other graphic applications I simply select an icon and I then export it. That's it.

I thought I could do the same with Designer, and the intro tutorial to exporting suggests that much, but in my case it simply doesn't work. The icon is being exported BUT its size is wrong. It always has some kind of "padding" around it. I can't figure out how to export just the object, I don't want a document containing the object.

Thank you for your help!

Affinity Designer is fussy about the positions of objects as well as their sizes. Make sure (via the Transform panel) that the icon’s width, height and XY coordinates are all integers.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Thank you Alfred, but the difference between the actual object size and what Designer delivers are very large. 

I have attached an example. The object size is 36 x 26 px, what I get after exporting is 47 x 33 px.

May be I am overlooking something here, I just don't know what.

pano.png

Can you share your *.afdesign file, or a cut-down version of it that still exhibits the same problem?

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

4 hours ago, ffurger said:

The object size is 36 x 26 px, what I get after exporting is 47 x 33 px.

What file format are you exporting to? Have you set the canvas size to the size of the object or to something larger? What export settings are you using?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I tried PNG and JPG, I got the same results. 

No, the way I usually work is I create a canvas on which I can experiment with different designs, so the canvas is definitively larger, but the export results are not as large as the canvas, far from it. They just are larger than the actual object.

I tried different approaches. The one that is supposed to work but doesn't is simply to select the layer and export it using File > Export...

I discovered that the problem lies with the space between the actual object and its surrounding rectangle. If I draw a rectangle  close to the actual objects, Designer delivers a larger size. But if the rectangle around the object is large enough, everything is fine. I have enclosed the .afdesign file for you to play around. Exporting pano2 as described produces too large a document, exporting pano1 the same way works as expected.

navigation.afdesign

47 minutes ago, ffurger said:

I tried different approaches. The one that is supposed to work but doesn't is simply to select the layer and export it using File > Export...

I think you may have discovered a bug in how export slices are created from objects containing arrowhead line endings. To see it, try this with your navigation file:

In either pano1 or pano2, remove the arrowheads in both curves. Switch to the Export Persona & in the Layers panel, select the pano group that includes just the two curves (without the rectangle). Click the "Make Slice" button:

761199722_Layersexportpanel.jpg.400f59cc4e81a3348e420dfc36e3752c.jpg

Now switch to the Slices panel & note that "Slice 1" created from the group is 38x20 pixels, only very slightly larger than the 2 curves.

976685604_slice1.jpg.3b2e1e57ec62da4ffb1dd3e4b0d76f43.jpg

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Yep, you don't even need to create a slice. Make a copy of pano2, remove the arrowhead, export using File > Export... => The rectangle size is correct (well, still one px too large in both directions, but still).

Sooo, what should I do now with this information - is there some kind of bug reporting?

1 hour ago, ffurger said:

Sooo, what should I do now with this information - is there some kind of bug reporting?

Yes.

Affinity Photo