You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo how to recover a failed image from auto-save

I am on a PC. Window 10 Professional  with Affinity Photo 1.7.1.

I have a file that I saved and then upon saving and closing (or seconds just after) I encountered a fatal windows 10 error relating to the Graphics card and this caused Blue Screen of Death.

Upon reloading I am unable to open the saved Affinity Photo file, stating the file type is "unsupported".

I hazard a guess that saving to the disk was interrupted by the BSOD. However, I have the Affinity Photo backup saving (File Recovery Interval) system running every 300 seconds and this should have a version of my image I can work from.

How do I find this file, on PC? I have found similar threads but those that give a Filepath are non existant on my system and also many comments / posts state this (File Recovery Interval) is only for power failure errors etc; which this exactly is. How do I restore my work?

Many thanks.

M

Edited by MartinMHC

11 minutes ago, MartinMHC said:

How do I find this file, on PC? I have found similar threads but those that give a Filepath are non existant on my system and also many comments / posts state this (File Recovery Interval) is only for power failure errors etc; which this exactly is. How do I restore my work?

If there is an Autosave file for:

• An unsaved file (that is, a file that has never been saved, and has no name), then when you restart Photo it will ask if you'd like to recover it.
  • A file that has been saved previously, then when you next try to Open that file Photo will tell you there's a recovery file and ask if you'd like to recover it.

If neither of those is happening, then it is likely that no recovery file exists. For example, as part of the Save operation you did, Photo may have already deleted the autosave file.

However, if any files exist you will find them in

image.png.537806fd2c7ba2fb19abd21088992e8d.png

If there are .autosave files there, you can try the following:

1. Make a copy of the file
  2. Change the extension from .autosave to .afphoto
  3. Open the file

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Go to the Auto-Recover File Location field. Here, you will see the location of the auto-save directory.  By default, it is set to C:\Users\user\AppData\Affinity\Photo\1.0\. However, you can always change that to your preferred location by clicking the Browse button.

Another option for accessing the auto-saved location would be to navigate to this path. 
File ->Info ->Mange Versions -> Recover Unsaved Documents.

Make sure you save the file once you open it. 

Last but not least, I think if still you are not able to find your file you can use third party data recovery program. You can use Stellar Free Data Recovery Software to recover you those file. It supports more than 300 files to recover. It is easy to use and recover more efficiently. I hope it will work for you. 

• 2 years later...
On 7/20/2019 at 3:53 PM, walt.farrell said:

If there is an Autosave file for:

• An unsaved file (that is, a file that has never been saved, and has no name), then when you restart Photo it will ask if you'd like to recover it.
  • A file that has been saved previously, then when you next try to Open that file Photo will tell you there's a recovery file and ask if you'd like to recover it.

If neither of those is happening, then it is likely that no recovery file exists. For example, as part of the Save operation you did, Photo may have already deleted the autosave file.

However, if any files exist you will find them in

image.png.537806fd2c7ba2fb19abd21088992e8d.png

If there are .autosave files there, you can try the following:

1. Make a copy of the file
  2. Change the extension from .autosave to .afphoto
  3. Open the file

Thanks Walt this just saved me, I have noticed affinity photo on windows desktop does crash quite often for me, at one point it would reopen the file for me after it crashed and I reopened the software, now it just crashes and forgets to reopen the recovered file, I managed to get the autosaved though with your info so thanks.