You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Problems getting a transparent background on PNG

Hi all.

I'm having trouble getting a transparent background on an exported PNG.  I'm using AD on ipad.  Here's the scenario:

I've imported a .ai file of a speech bubble and want to export 'as-is'  as a transparent PNG.  When I export the file, I'm seeing the bubble as a square image with a grid in in the background (see screenshot - blue background)

Here's what I've tried.  Each time, I get this grid in the background:

1. Gone to file -> Canvas -> set 'Transparent Canvas'

2. Deselected all.  Export persona -> selected top level slice (whole page) -> selected PNG -> exported

3. Pixel persona -> Selected all -> Export -> select PNG -> Area: 'Whole Document"

4. Pixel persona -> Selected all -> Export -> select PNG -> Area: 'Selection without background"

I'm really confused.  I would have thought that the image has transparency by default.  Why is AD adding this grid background (which in my limited, novice's understanding normally represents transparency)??

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!

CleanShot 2019-07-20 at 13.01.58@2x.png

AD_PNG export settings.png

I can’t help sorry, but I too am interested in finding an answer. I’m not finding this setting transparency thing at all intuitive yet.

Is it possible to put the original .ai file somewhere accessible? Or have you since posting, solved the problem?

iPad Mini 6.  256GB.

Publisher. Designer. Photo for Mac, PC & iOS 

@Affinity-Inspiration

Hi,

When you go to export make sure you have the cloud image selected, then when you go to Export as png, you will get the option in the Area settings to choose: 'Selection without background', at the moment it looks like that is greyed out in your settings and the whole document is getting exported.

29 minutes ago, HarryMcGovern said:

if that imported image of the cloud has a transparent background, why can’t I see the blue background?

I would think it was probably not transparent when it was imported or got flattened and rasterised because some of the effects added (like the drop shadow) were not supported.

22 hours ago, Ron99 said:

Why is AD adding this grid background (which in my limited, novice's understanding normally represents transparency)??

Are you saying that you only see the chequerboard on export, not within AD? :/

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

Hi Ron99 :)

Could you please post a copy of your Affinity or AI file so we can look into this further please? As Alfred above, I too am confused that you're seeing a chequerboard after export!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

7 hours ago, HarryMcGovern said:

I can’t help sorry, but I too am interested in finding an answer. I’m not finding this setting transparency thing at all intuitive yet.

Is it possible to put the original .ai file somewhere accessible? Or have you since posting, solved the problem?

Hi Harry.  I was about to post the .ai file, but I realised I'd be in breach of the license from Adobe.  Sorry.  

Thanks all for your input on this - I've just found an answer!

It turns out that the .ai file included a checkerboard image within the artwork!!  I only realised when zooming, and noticed that the checkerboad squares were zooming too.

So it wasn't an AD issue at all - really annoying though!  One to watch out for.

Thanks for your input folks!

6 hours ago, Alfred said:

Are you saying that you only see the chequerboard on export, not within AD? :/

5 minutes ago, Ron99 said:

It turns out that the .ai file included a checkerboard image within the artwork!!  I only realised when zooming, and noticed that the checkerboad squares were zooming too.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions!

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

6 minutes ago, Ron99 said:

So it wasn't an AD issue at all - really annoying though!  One to watch out for.

Thanks for your input folks!

Wow, that’s a real trap. Glad you spotted it.

iPad Mini 6.  256GB.

Publisher. Designer. Photo for Mac, PC & iOS 

@Affinity-Inspiration

I am having a similar issue with saving png files as transparent.

1. I created a transparent document at the start.

2. Selected Export, turned switch off by matte background, selected png and no matter what I do it saves with a white background, even when I do it by selection, and selecting selection without background.

3. The screenshots of the picture were loaded into procreate after exporting from designer but this is what it looks like. Procreate supports png files.

I am including screen shots of what it looks like when exported.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Cheryl

IMG_1176.PNG

IMG_1174.PNG

IMG_1177.PNG

IMG_1175.PNG

Hi Cheryl53

Im not having a problem importing transparent png’s into procreate.

I’m using the ‘Share’ option in export tho and saving images to my photos, bringing them into procreate that way.

You don’t say if your using Photo or Designer? Try clicking on the settings burger menu in the layers (3 lines in box) and check the box for:  Checkboard Background.

As you’ve mentioned, make sure the item on your canvas is selected (blue marquee) and that you have the ‘Selection without background’ set in ‘Area’  on the export dialogue page. Maybe the issue is where you are exporting too and some kind of bug.