You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi Guys, 

I've been doing editing and design for several years now on photoshop. Self taught.

I am looking to start learning how to create vectors.

Is Affinity a good program for starting out? Or should I start on Illustrator?

Ive been itching to purchase this software, just worried I might jump into the deep end of the pool too quickly. 

Thoughts?

• Staff

Hi Xarahla,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

I will left your first question to other members, because i'm part of the staff.

Whatever program you decide to pick (from those two) you will jump into the deep end of the pool (don't worry, no swimmies needed :P  ... if you have been using Photoshop you will do just fine!)

Both programs are geared towards advanced vector editing (Affinity Designer also supports bitmap/raster data simultaneously) and although we are on the first version you can already use Designer for several types of work. From graphic design, to UI/web design, vector illustration etc you can see what other users are creating in the Share your work section. If you want to give it a try, there's a trial available on our site here. If you need some help to get started check out Affinity Designer's tutorials on our Vimeo channel. Any question you may have just post here. You will find plenty of help from both other users and developers.

Xarahla, I've been a member of the forum since Oct'14 and actively using Affinity around the same time.

I have access to Illustrator too, but thats hidden away in a folder on my launchpad, the Affinity icon..Im showing off in the dock!  ;)

- I even take this program to work with me because...man it's good!

Imo, Affinity has a much more user friendly feel to it, smoother, deeper (in sense of zooms and clarity) and is much more visually pleasing.

I find that it is easier to work with the nodes and anchors too..

I could continue..but the answers Affinity. 

www.sincetimebegan.com

Personal Portfolio

Hi Guys, 

I've been doing editing and design for several years now on photoshop. Self taught.

I am looking to start learning how to create vectors.

Is Affinity a good program for starting out? Or should I start on Illustrator?

Ive been itching to purchase this software, just worried I might jump into the deep end of the pool too quickly. 

Thoughts?

Affinity. Yes, it's slick, easy, intuitive, affordable and powerful.

Illustrator. No, it's hard work, slow, expensive and bloated.

As for thoughts: stop thinking and buy AD.

To misquote Eric Clapton "I got the Serif (Affinity), but I didn't use the Adobe" :P

Illustrator...? More like frustrater!

MacBook pro, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, OS X 10.11.6

http://www.pinterest.com/peter2111