You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher export, need help with bleed

I need help regarding a catalogue I am making.

The printers my client uses need the PDF in the following way:

- Single pages (!!)
- 3mm bleed on the outsides
- NO bleed where the pages join (in the fold)

Publisher gives me only two options:

- General bleed which is used for every page
- Facing pages with no bleed in the fold, but it also exports as double-pages

I really hope I am missing something here.

I need:

1) Either different bleed settings for even/odd pages
OR
2) Layout as facing pages, but export as single pages with NO bleed in the fold.

Affinity Publisher /Windows
I hope I made myself clear enough, English is not my first language.
Please help!

Note: No, it is not possible to use another printing company.

This is a diagram of how it needs to be:

flyeralarm_layout.png.1dad911a325ce4dc2bc23e7ed3f52eb7.png

4 minutes ago, LostInTranslation said:

2) Layout as facing pages, but export as single pages with NO bleed in the fold.

You can do this. If printer really wants pages as separate files you have to separate them in other software, though. Exporting one page at the time is not very practical with larger amount of pages.

1 hour ago, Fixx said:

You can do this. If printer really wants pages as separate files you have to separate them in other software, though. Exporting one page at the time is not very practical with larger amount of pages.

Using other software to split pages is couterproductive and not what I want to do.
Flyeralarm is a major player in Austria, Germany and possibly other countries too. Eventually more people will have the same problem and it must be possible to do this in Publisher alone.

On export I can chose between "Pages" and "Spreads". With facing pages exporting "Pages" instead of spreads should not give bleed in the fold.

3 hours ago, LostInTranslation said:

Publisher gives me only two options:

- General bleed which is used for every page
- Facing pages with no bleed in the fold, but it also exports as double-pages

When you have a set up with facing pages and want to export to PDF, select 'All Pages' (instead of 'All Spreads') from the 'Area' dropdown in the 'Export Settings' dialog. This will automatically add bleed (taken from the opposite page) to the fold-side of the opposite page. Only make sure that graphics do not border the fold. 

2 hours ago, Hilltop said:

When you have a set up with facing pages and want to export to PDF, select 'All Pages' (instead of 'All Spreads') from the 'Area' dropdown in the 'Export Settings' dialog. This will automatically add bleed (taken from the opposite page) to the fold-side of the opposite page. Only make sure that graphics do not border the fold. 

I tried that already. It gives me the same bleed all around as when I uncheck "Facing pages".
But you are right, it *should* work like that.

There is a bug report (mac) for inner bleed issue in single page export.
Unfortunately it is neither commented by a moderator nor tagged as being logged yet.
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/90009-inside-bleed-0-still-appears-in-pdf-export/

Single page export without inner bleed can be achieved with a work-around:

Do not export but print instead to a PDF-printer driver – which you have by system on a mac, and, I guess in Windows, too.
Unfortunately this way you have NO option about a specific PDF version (at least not on mac).

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

On 7/20/2019 at 2:46 PM, Hilltop said:

When you have a set up with facing pages and want to export to PDF, select 'All Pages' (instead of 'All Spreads') from the 'Area' dropdown in the 'Export Settings' dialog. This will automatically add bleed (taken from the opposite page) to the fold-side of the opposite page.

Yes, that is a problem. If the inner bleed is set to 0 there should be no slice from opposite page. I wish this would be corrected (devs!). 

Looking at Fixx's example in that thread, I understand his argument and I mentioned this in my earlier post: "Only make sure that graphics do not border the fold." 

But, in those cases that they do, if you set the inner bleed to 0 in APub, how would you allow for enough space for cutting variances? 

Just hoping to learn...

Yes, it sounds contradictory. I think print shops who demand inner bleed = 0 just do cut very exactly. (which is, of cause, technically no problem – and therefore it reduces a need for bleed)

To surround the inner bleed issue, some users layout a different version of their document especially for export, where all spreads get separated into single pages. There is even a script for InDesign to switch page arrangement with keeping facing pages, so I guess people need and use it. http://kasyan.ho.com.ua/indesign/all/split_spreads.html

For AfPublisher a workaround could be to switch the document from facing to single pages and manually repair those objects which were layout across the spine by placing a duplicate on the other page.

Here's another thread about this problem: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/91116-split-spread-to-place-borderless-or-full-page-photos/

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Umm... spiral binding would need bleed also in the inner part/spine. 

But if you prepare a normal publication there is usually no need for inner bleed or it is not possible, former because glue binding (hides inner part anyway), latter because sheet is printed and stapled and opposite pages are not cut at the spine.