You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Vector curve issue

I apologize if this was already posted elsewhere, I don't know how to search for this issue but,

I saved my document as an SVG, and honestly, I don't know what I'm doing as far as that is concerned. With that said, the issue is that the document I saved, when I open it, the curves and outlines went from having 4 to 6 nodes to what looks like thousands. 

Can someone help me out and let me know what happened and how I can return it back to normal?

Below I am placing a detail of the project and what I mean...

The first image is showing how it looks normally, unselected.

The second image is what the curve normally looked like when I was putting the work together.

The third is what the original curve looks like when I select it with the vector editing tool.

The last two images are a close up of the thousands of nodes, unselected and selected.

47B7A2F9-AA42-4C42-89A4-17CB46FB835A.png

E5F202CD-FAC7-4DB2-8122-7DBD67FD5867.png

F09C2BD8-0216-412C-88CE-A53F04A354F4.jpeg

994B832A-FCEB-4DF4-9293-CE4E9DF1362D.png

0B6FC8C1-DA27-40D4-9C6E-EA1466A0F46E.png

• Staff

Hi LastGrasp :)

Could you please confirm for me, did you use the Vector Brush Tool to create your design?

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

3 hours ago, Dan C said:

Hi LastGrasp :)

Could you please confirm for me, did you use the Vector Brush Tool to create your design?

Hey Dan,

I did not use the brush, I used the pen tool

Edited by LastGrasp

I think it’s because you have a pressure profile applied to the affected strokes. Try using the ‘Expand Stroke’ command before exporting to SVG.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

4 hours ago, Alfred said:

I think it’s because you have a pressure profile applied to the affected strokes. Try using the ‘Expand Stroke’ command before exporting to SVG.

Thanks, I'm not sure what that technically means but, I'm going to try that out now.  The original curves only had maximum of 10 nodes minimum of two. I'm going to re-export the image as it is now to see it it changes it back...

4 hours ago, Alfred said:

Well, I just tried "Expand Stroke" and I don't know what it's supposed to do but it didn't reverse the curves back to their original state or reduce the number of nodes...

Basically, with the pen tool (brush was not used), I made all the curves and lines just like the independent one in the attached image. The whole design was constructed that way, curve by curve, line by line (and even then, I'm not sure if I am working inefficiently, I am doing what is familiar to me, since I don't know how to use the other tools yet), anyway... the whole design is constructed that way, with nodes added as needed, never exceeding 10

6EF6FE5A-2104-41C8-8145-DF984662A8B3.png

Then, I saved the project as an svg (with the options that were default, but I may have changed an option by accident), because the app went from 3GB to 30 and that issue wasn't resolved, so I had to uninstall and reinstall the app (which fixed the issue...for now. I hope that doesn't become a regular thing). When I reopened my project, the curves went from looking like the previous image to the following image. The curves now have thousands of nodes, and outline and a fill, so it isn't even a solid line anymore.

6F51510D-3CC5-4C26-A91A-1E674DC4137E.png

70A3E5C0-F7EC-48BC-8A34-FB1CE39D3786.png

If you used expand stroke you change the stroke to a curve.

927C997D-9BBB-4E18-9A39-7331B3A257F4.jpeg

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

14 hours ago, Alfred said:

On reflection, I’m not sure this has anything to do with pressure profiles. Sorry about that!

Try exporting to SVG after drawing one stroke with the Pen Tool and another with the Vector Brush Tool, and then compare the number of nodes when you import the SVG file.

Edit: Oops, again! I’ve just seen that you wrote this:

9 hours ago, LastGrasp said:

Basically, with the pen tool (brush was not used) ...

I’m not sure what to think now. :S

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

9 hours ago, Alfred said:

On reflection, I’m not sure this has anything to do with pressure profiles. Sorry about that!

Try exporting to SVG after drawing one stroke with the Pen Tool and another with the Vector Brush Tool, and then compare the number of nodes when you import the SVG file.

I appreciate the response, at least this way I will now in the future in regards to the brush...

as for the pen, perhaps it's a bug?

I'm afraid I have to start from scratch.... practice makes perfect, right?

9 hours ago, Alfred said:

It didn't happen to all the curves tho which is why I'm confused as well...

36D2DD30-9D04-4DAF-A034-AEA54A194DC7.jpeg

2CD321A0-AF0A-4783-A468-D9D2CFFDAE55.jpeg

Edited by LastGrasp
Text and image

• Staff

Thanks for all your screenshots LastGrasp, what is the Line Style you've used for these curves that create many nodes on export? You can find out by selecting the node and opening the Stroke Studio, you should see 4 small icons, one of which will be highlighted. 

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

6 hours ago, Dan C said:

Thanks for all your screenshots LastGrasp, what is the Line Style you've used for these curves that create many nodes on export? You can find out by selecting the node and opening the Stroke Studio, you should see 4 small icons, one of which will be highlighted. 

Is this it?

D9BDCB07-5E76-43CE-BD5A-0FE71EA1B98F.png

6 hours ago, Dan C said:

I barely know what the majority of these options are... how can I go about learning what they are used for and how to apply them when necessary?

52 minutes ago, LastGrasp said:

I barely know what the majority of these options are... how can I go about learning what they are used for and how to apply them when necessary?

Here is a link to a PDF of the help file. Lots of good info. Also check out the video tutorials made by Affinity.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/64746-official-affinity-designer-ipad-tutorials/

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

• Staff
8 hours ago, LastGrasp said:

Is this it?

That's the panel I'm looking for, however can you please provide a screenshot of this with a curve selected before export? Thanks :)

On 7/23/2019 at 3:09 AM, Dan C said:

That's the panel I'm looking for, however can you please provide a screenshot of this with a curve selected before export? Thanks :)

I don't have a screen shot from before the export. That is why I put that independent curve next to the shot to show how the curve looked like before the export. It had 2 nodes. The initial one and the end one and maybe 2 or 3 added nodes for more control. The same curve has -phew- what seems like thousands. 

• Staff

Apologies for the delayed response. What I'm trying to ascertain is what type of stroke you used before the file was exported. Can you still access the file you created before exporting it to SVG, or can you recreate part of the document using the same tools/brushes?

On 7/29/2019 at 7:35 AM, Dan C said:

Apologies for the delayed response. What I'm trying to ascertain is what type of stroke you used before the file was exported. Can you still access the file you created before exporting it to SVG, or can you recreate part of the document using the same tools/brushes?

No worries.

The stroke I used? I'm sorry, since I'm still new to this, I don't think I am understanding correctly. The stroke was whatever was in the default when I used the pen tool. Technically speaking, I would make a single line with two nodes and would add a node where necessary. I also adjusted the ends in order to have that sharp or pointy edge to look like a brush or crowquill stroke. That is about all I really did.

Unfortunately, I don't have a file before that because I saved the image, not really knowing what I was doing, as an SVG with settings I do not remember, then I had to uninstall the whole app and then reinstall it because it had spiked the memory use of my iPad from like 3GB to 30GB.... and, now I find myself here, sorta at a loss.

I am currently watching some third party tutorials on this app so I can figure out what I'm doing...

On 7/29/2019 at 7:35 AM, Dan C said:

If you re-review the screenshots, I tried to point out the changes in the curves befor and after as well as pointing out that not all the curves are affected by thousands of nodes.

Some are as they were when I first started the image, and others are affected by thousands of nodes, outline and fill. The have become shapes that resemble a stroke. When I zoom in, I can empty the shape, or remove the outline but the thousand nodes remain. From my layman perspective, it simply went from a simple stroke to a shape that looks like the original stroke...

My apologies if my explanation isn't clear, I'm trying my best to accurately explain what happened since I don't have any previous file...

• Staff

I understand, thanks for letting me know.

The reason I'm trying to determine the type of stroke used is that there's a current bug our development team are aware of when exporting to SVG - if you use a Textured Line Style (the last option in the Stroke Studio) the export to SVG a file similar to yours is created, with thousands of nodes. 

We're working to fix this as soon as possible, I imagine this same bug encompasses your document, so I'll be certain to update our development log with your details now, as the screenshots you've provided nicely demonstrate this bug

Many thanks for your continued patience here and my apologies for any inconveniences caused. In the meantime could you use PDF to retain your export and not have your file bloated by nodes?