You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Changing areas on raw mode in Affinity Photo

Hi everyone ;)

On Affinity photo for Ipad in raw mode I use the brush to delimit certain areas so for example to lighten them (they become red).

But now I would like to darken other areas.

How can I leave the first areas that I wanted to lighten to darken others ?

I tried to click down on "delete" but this  close the picture !

784127F3-DAF1-4E22-A866-1D0620D0180D.jpeg

Ipad Affinity Photo

At this time Affinity Photo is not very adept at multiple localized adjustments such as this. In Capture One Pro you can add layers upon which you can the brush your effect onto that layer or delete the effect from a layer. But right now this is not possible within Affinity Photo's Develop persona. 

EDIT: I was completely wrong with my answer. See the solution mentioned below by Dan C about the use of "Overlays."

Much easier to apply those localised adjustments when in Photo Persona. 

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

Just now, DM1 said:

Much easier to apply those localised adjustments when in Photo Persona. 

Completely agree. Simply develop your raw file with whatever global adjustments you need, and take care of the details in the more appropriate persona. 

• Staff

Hi Nadar :)

It certainly would be easier to apply these adjustments in the Photo Persona, but if you wish to apply these edits in Develop then this is possible also.

If you select the third icon from the bottom on the right hand side of the UI (the layers icon) this will open the Overlays Studio. Here you can select the Master overlay to apply global changes to your RAW image, or draw new overlays using the brush or gradient tool. After drawing an Overlay, you can return to this Studio to draw a new Overlay area on your image and then apply changes to this Overlay only. I hope this helps!

1 hour ago, Dan C said:

ere you can select the Master overlay to apply global changes to your RAW image, or draw new overlays using the brush or gradient tool. After drawing an Overlay, you can return to this Studio to draw a new Overlay area on your image and then apply changes to this Overlay only. I hope this helps!

@Dan C, this is SUPER interesting! It really bugs me that I didn't consider this tool. It's made more annoying by the fact that I hadn't turned the Overlays Studio. Thank you! 

YES... this will certainly accomplish what @Nadar is asking about. 

It would be nice to have the ability to turn OFF a layer once it's created; however, being able to change each overlay's opacity is a decent work around. It would also be nice to re-order the overlays at will, but hopefully that comes in a future update.

It's nice that in the iPad version there's a way to "Show Overlay" so that one can more easily refine the overlay. Is "Show Overlay" an option in the desktop version also??

• Staff

No problem at all :)

3 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Is "Show Overlay" an option in the desktop version also

Unfortunately not, the overlay will be visible in the desktop until any changes are made to he develop sliders. If you wish to see the overlay again you will have to reset the sliders to default.

This has been previously raised as an improvement for the desktop version and is something we hope to implement in a future update!