You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

White appears yellowish when importing RGB bitmaps

Hi @hschneider,

Add a tick in the Convert opened files to working space checkbox, (include a tick in the and warn checkbox so you also get a notification). Then open your original test.afdesign file and drag your barcodes in...

Does that rectify the problem?

convert.jpg.1654aa0321b5ae208922f1785ccebe79.jpg

Affinity Designer 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1.2344
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.6.8, Magic Mouse

• Staff

Hi all,

Sorry for the delayed reply. 

It looks like the colour profile in your document is corrupt. Trying the same with my Euroscale Coated V2 gives me a 0:0:0 background. But your file with "the same" profile has got a different background colour. 

Try this and see if it's any different. 

Thanks,

Gabe. 

EuroscaleCoated.icc

Hi GabrielM,

I don't think it is so much corrupt as simply uses a 'different' colour profile. Checking the Convert opened files to working space checkbox and then opening the original test.afdesign file and dragging the barcode in fixes the problem for me (see my previous post) and possibly explains why different people are seeing different results.

Curious to see if this works for others too?

Affinity Designer 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1.2344

I ticked 'Convert opened files to working space', but it makes no difference as long as my working space profile is 'Euroscale Coated V2'.

As I wrote before, when my profile is Coated Forgra39, then the test doc is converted into Coated Fogra39 and the JPG appears bright white as is should.

@GabrielM:
The question is: Why is the doc's profile corrupt? 

All my documents and those of a customer of mine seem to have the same bug.
The only things we both have in common and which is not true for the testers here is:
We both have a multiple monitor setup with an external 3rd party screen (Non-Apple, but LG and HP).

Is there a way to reset or delete AD's color profile information?

• Staff

Are you both using the exact same profile? if so, that profile might be corrupt. There is no way for us to reset the profiles, as they are held in a different location. You can delete it and get the one I attached and see if that fixes the issue. Check ColourSync Utility and see where that profile is stored. 

Having done a bit more digging and also having had a closer look at the Preferences Panel you posted before, I can now replicate the issue.

In your preference settings you have the Rendering Intent set to Absolut farbmetrisch (Absolute Colourimetric). Creating a new AD document with Absolut farbmetrisch using a colour profile set to CMYK/8, Euroscale v2 matches your test.afdesign file and results in a document with a background of CMYK 0, 1, 4, 0 which is why I believe you are seeing a difference between the white of your AD document and the white of your barcode.

Changing the Rendering Intent to Relative Colourimetric and creating a new AD document, again with a colour profile setting of CMYK/8, Euroscale v2 results in an AD document with a background of CMYK 0, 0, 0, 0. Drag your barcode into this new file and I believe the whites will now match. I suspect the barcode has been created/exported in a document using Relative Colourimetric Rendering Intent.

All the tests I've run to date use Relative Colourimetric which is why I think we are both seeing different results.

From the following article https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/color-space-conversion.htm

"Absolute Colourimetric is similar to Relative Colourimetric in that it preserves in gamut colours and clips those out of gamut, but they differ in how each handles the white point.

Absolute Colourimetric preserves the white point, while Relative Colourimetric actually displaces the colours so that the old white point aligns with the new one (while still retaining the colours' relative positions). The exact preservation of colours may sound appealing, however relative colourimetric adjusts the white point for a reason. Without this adjustment, absolute Colorimetric results in unsightly image colour shifts.

This colour shift results because the white point of the colour space usually needs to align with that of the light source or paper tint used. If one were printing to a colour space for paper with a bluish tint, absolute colourimetric would ignore this tint change. Relative colourimetric would compensate colours to account for the fact that the whitest and lightest point has a tint of blue."

Haha, glad we got there in the end!!

Out of interest, would it not make more sense to generate the barcodes as vector files, it would perhaps make them more flexible, or is it a case of having to work with what already exists because someone else created the barcodes?