You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Export to SVG format with multiple layers support in Designer

This is very important if you are making animations from your Designer ilustrations in After Effects, Affinity Designer saves SVG file with layers changed into groups and merged into one single layer which makes After Effects read your drawing as one object so if I'm drawing character for cartoon in Designer I can't manipulate the body parts, face impressions, etc. in After Effects because it requires them all to be saved as different layers, not groups inside one layer.

We have several options for configuring SVG export. Have you tried with File > Export > SVG > Export for Editability selected? Or, if you are using the beta, go into More and make sure Flatten Transforms is unchecked. You can also change that setting from the Export Persona. It's sometimes easiest to fiddle in the Export Persona until you find a combination of options that works with the other app, and then save that as a preset.

Hmm. SVG doesn't have a concept of layers, it only has groups, and we preserve them on export. I just created a simple example of two layers with 2 objects on each, in Illustrator and Affinity, and the output from both programs was quite similar. I'll install After Effects and try and see if it's doing different things with them.

Can I ask how you are importing SVG into After Effects? I'm not familiar with this product. I can import PDF, but .svg doesn't seem to be a supported file extension, and it's not listed as a supported format here. Are you using a plug-in, or am I missing something?

Yeah you were right my bad, it was the EPS format that worked, I've also spent some time checking how it works in Illustrator and AE and had format name mistaken. Anyway I't seems that only when i export my drawing in Illustrator to AI format it will have layers preserved for AE animation. Forgive me but I'm more artist than technician in those things so all these formats are like black magic to me.

So the patch I have to go trough to get it working right now is exporting my character to SVG format, then I have to go to the Illustrator, change the groups of body parts into separate layers, then in Illustrator save the file in AI format. So yes it seems that the AI format is the only way right now for me if I want to animate my cartoons. Damn If there was somebody to make export to .AI file option, or make a plugin for After Effects to read .afdesign files as compositions...

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

A Standard layer definition is currently being discussed by the SVG Working Group for the new SVG 2.0 specs.

You can read the discussion here:

https://github.com/w3c/svgwg/issues/68

It would be helpful if someone from the Affinity Designer development team would join the discusion. This is a very important issue. We need a standard for SVG interoperability.