The histogram in both the Photo and Develop Persona is blue where I would expect it to be white. The individual RGB channels all display properly but where they overlap the histogram is blue. I have version 1.7.1.404 and have just downloaded it. Any ideas why it's like this? It's not really useable as it is.

IMG_20190719_154931.jpg

In 1.7 Serif changed the histogram color that is used for (I think) overall luminance from White to Blue.

As far as I know they have never explained why, but it seems to have been intentional.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.239), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.464 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.4464 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.458 Beta

Thanks. I didn't realise that. There doesn't seem to be a way to change it back again. Which is a shame because it's really not easy to distinguish from the B channel histogram.

Would love to hear an explanation, sounds more like a cockup than a conscious choice, either way I'm all ears...:266_mouse2:

iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.6 - Affinity Designer/Photo, Publisher Beta 1.7.0.140, Illustrator CC, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9 B|  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials Instagram & Flickr - Affinity Live 19th June 2019

This was an intended change for 1.7, however we've raised it as a potential issue with our developers after a few users - such as yourself - have expressed that they aren't a fan of the change.

Personally I prefer a white overlay, the developers have commented on the report stating the reason for this was the white overlay confused certain users or they requested the colour to be changed. Of course it is impossible to please everyone, but we're still looking at other options for how to improve this in the future. 

26 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Of course it is impossible to please everyone

Couldn’t there be a checkbox for this, or a Preferences setting? :/

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.1.404 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.1.143 • Designer for iPad 1.7.1.1 • iOS 12.4 (iPad Air 2)

This is one of the suggestions in the dev thread, and IMO one of the best options we could implement. Unfortunately I don't have the final say here, but I'll certainly make sure your voice is heard :) 

@Dan C: If it is going to remain as a blue overlay, the documentation team should fix the images in the Help, which currently show the old version:

image.png.7aba8a3edbc3b48b15bfdf1dd3706ad9.png

Also, the Help should explain what that overlay is, whichever color it remains. Currently it does not mention it.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.239), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.464 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.4464 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.458 Beta

8 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

the documentation team should fix the images in the Help, which currently show the old version

Thanks Walt, this has already been raised in the development log, they've confirmed they'll change this once we have a final decision.

8 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

the Help should explain what that overlay is, whichever color it remains. Currently it does not mention it.

Good point, I'll raise this with the team, thanks :) 

Omg after pulling my hair out over the poor histogram in the older versions now I can barely  under stand or read this new blue version.

Can this be sorted in any way?

10 hours ago, Dan C said:

Hi Adam 005,

Welcome to the forums :)

There's no option to change the current histogram, although this is still being looked at by our developers.

So to clear up my confusion is the bit that's now blue what would have been white previously. 

1 hour ago, Adam 005 said:

So to clear up my confusion is the bit that's now blue what would have been white previously. 

Yes.

-- Walt