You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Feature request: USM @ PDF export

I request that PDF export More dialog box would be supplemented with optional Unsharp mask filtering part:

PDF-esport.png

That would allow sharpening document images during export as batch operation. Operation flow would be then resample > sharpen > convert to CMYK, which is optimal.

Let me explain how I do this now with InDesign.

Typically I have publication with 48 pages and 55 images, which should go to press within 2 hours. And all the images are original, not photoshopped at all! How to handle this situation?

Easily. I select in InDesign menu command Zevrix>LinkOptimizer: 

LinOptim.png

And click Analyze Document, check if all files are OK, and click Process. LinkOptimizer opens all images to Photoshop, resamples them to 300 dpi, applies USM, converts to CMYK, and saves both images and ID document as copies to project folder. This happens while I drink a cup of coffee,  in about 4 minutes. After that I select Export in InDesign, upload the resulting PDF to press service website and go home early (instead of spending the night processing images by myself).

Me happy. Be like me and go home early.

Now, factually Publisher can do the very same processing in PDF export, except the sharpening part (well, InDy can too, without expensive ID add-on, except that sharpening part). Resample, sharpen, convert colours. If this part is added, you too can go home early!

I know there are people who insist that automatic processing is not going to give good enough quality. I say if source material is good enough this is qualitywise so good that it is fine 90 % of cases (I certainly fixx obvious image problems like white balance), (also if you do just fine art coffee table books this is obviously not good enough for you).

And I know there are people who do not do anything to images (like who cares, customers do not see any difference). For those this would increase print quality a lot.

I hope this can be added to PDF export without too many problems – I would guess PDF libraries are so modular that this can be fitted in easily enough.