You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

The program crashes when scrolling and scaling.

When scaling and scrolling, the program crashes.
Images in the document are embedded links. Collapse usually occurs during the drawing of images. Project files are located on an external HDD (USB 3.0) fairly fast.
The error occurs every few minutes and sometimes more.
The program crashes both in the betta version and in the stable version.
I apologize for the length of the gif, not knowing how to cut it. The collapse of the program
at the end.

On gif, the program first hung up for a long time and then crashed. Usually the program crashes very quickly.

Запись_2019_07_19_13_30_47_304.gif

Windows 11 64-bit,

AMD Ryzen 9 3900 + Nvidia 1660 Super + Nvidia Studio driver + 32 Gb RAM.

I agree.
It often seems to crash if you scroll too quickly through a document - not exactly sure how fast "too quick" is though.
Have had this happen a few times.
This is using 1.7.2.422 but it's not something I can reproduce on demand.

Windows 10 Home - 8Gb / Windows 10  Pro - 96Gb

Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 - Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 - Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481

14 hours ago, Trevor J Richens said:

I agree.
It often seems to crash if you scroll too quickly through a document - not exactly sure how fast "too quick" is though.
Have had this happen a few times.
This is using 1.7.2.422 but it's not something I can reproduce on demand. 

There is a feeling that this is somehow related to the speed of downloading images from folders. But it is not exactly :)

Windows 11 64-bit,

Just had this happen again.

Opened file and started to scroll up pages BEFORE the pages thumbnails had populated - immediate crash out of program.

Reloaded OK and waited for all thumbnails to update - scrolling then worked OK with no crash...

Windows 10 Home - 8Gb / Windows 10  Pro - 96Gb

Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 - Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 - Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481

13 hours ago, Trevor J Richens said:

Just had this happen again.

Opened file and started to scroll up pages BEFORE the pages thumbnails had populated - immediate crash out of program.

Reloaded OK and waited for all thumbnails to update - scrolling then worked OK with no crash...

I have a multipage document with a large number of files. I tried to give a timeout, but it did not help. Perhaps not all pages are loaded.

Windows 11 64-bit,

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2019 at 6:23 PM, Jon P said:

Is it possible for both of you to embed all the images in your document, and if you get the same behaviour upload it here and I'll see if I can reproduce the crash. 

Please tell me how to embed images if they are already inserted with links?

Windows 11 64-bit,

4 hours ago, Jon P said:

Document > Resource Manager, click on the Resource and click the "Embed" button.

You can swap a resource between embedded/linked in this dialog

I managed to reproduce the error from the file with embedded photos.
Where can I send the file (large file). I can’t post the link in the public domain.

Windows 11 64-bit,

1 hour ago, Jon P said:

My post above has a link to a dropbox account that is only used internally, just upload here and I'll have a go at reproducing it with that file, thanks 

Sent a file.
20 20-4.afpub
Max n

Windows 11 64-bit,

• Staff

I've not had any luck reproducing it just yet, but will continue to look at it.

Can you attach any crash reports located in %appdata%\Affinity\Publisher\1.0\CrashReports here also please.

Thanks!

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

4 hours ago, Jon P said:

I've not had any luck reproducing it just yet, but will continue to look at it.

Can you attach any crash reports located in %appdata%\Affinity\Publisher\1.0\CrashReports here also please.

Thanks! 

Sent to the dropbox.

Windows 11 64-bit,

• Staff

I've reproduced a crash once with this file but not been able to since, I've logged it for the developers to look at it but we are struggling to reproduce it consistently internally which is going to make it hard to pin down and fix.

Can you let me know your pc specifications? Hoping to find something or find a setup that allows me to reproduce this more consistently.

6 hours ago, Jon P said:

I've reproduced a crash once with this file but not been able to since, I've logged it for the developers to look at it but we are struggling to reproduce it consistently internally which is going to make it hard to pin down and fix.

Can you let me know your pc specifications? Hoping to find something or find a setup that allows me to reproduce this more consistently. 

I replayed the error on the home PC.
I threw a fresh bugbreot with all the settings of the program onto the drop box (
Publisher.7z ). And took a look at the configuration of the equipment.

If you increase Ctrl + (Scrolling with the mouse) and at the same time quickly move up and down the document, the error manifests itself more often. There is a feeling that this is somehow related to reading data.

Windows 11 64-bit,

• 1 month later...
On 8/7/2019 at 12:55 PM, Jon P said:

Is there any information on this issue?

Windows 11 64-bit,

• Staff

I'm afraid not, we are still investigating it and trying to reproduce it consistently internally, as until we can it's quite hard for the developers to pin-point, but an issue is logged relating to it with the crash reports we've received and I've just given it a nudge.

5 hours ago, Jon P said:

I'm afraid not, we are still investigating it and trying to reproduce it consistently internally, as until we can it's quite hard for the developers to pin-point, but an issue is logged relating to it with the crash reports we've received and I've just given it a nudge. 

The problem is somehow related to scrolling.

And render images.

This is according to my observations.

Windows 11 64-bit,

Still have the same problem with my file (312 pages A4, facing, 600+ linked images)

If needed i can send my updated file (yoy already have a copy with less pages and linked images)

To me, it seems to be a screen-drawing/disk-reading problem when uopdating the screen (scrolling fi.)

• 4 months later...
  • Staff

We have made fixes/improvements to this area (User file crashes app when scrolling) of the program in the latest customer beta. If you would like to try these changes the beta software is available in the forum posts listed below.

The latest beta builds are downloadable from links at the top of each of these beta forum posts.

These betas install parallel, next to the release version (they do not overwrite your release) and so the fixes can be tried in the beta without affecting your normal workflow in the release version.

Once these programs have been through a full beta process the change will be released in a future free 1.8.0 update/patch to all customers.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.