You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Possible bug in Publisher with ligatures

I am working on a technical catalogue.
There are a couple of technical drawings that I had to refine in Designer.
From there I exported each one of them as PDF and then imported them into Publisher.

To my surprise, the text was all scrambled up in Publisher.
I investigated and found that I had "Standard Ligatures" on in Designer. If I turn them off, the import into Publisher works.

But it should also work with Ligatures on, shouldn't it?

See here:

publisher_error.thumb.png.00be2077825c5de2f3567c43e48f71a1.png

Apart from the bug with the ligatures, why don't you simply place the afdesign files or copy the element? Does this work in your case?

Anyway maybe you can post your .afdesign file here, so that others could have a look at it.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

3 hours ago, Joachim_L said:

Apart from the bug with the ligatures, why don't you simply place the afdesign files or copy the element? Does this work in your case?

Anyway maybe you can post your .afdesign file here, so that others could have a look at it.

I have multiple of those drawings in one Designer-document, but I need them individually in different places in Publisher, so going over PDF seemed the most convenient way. I worked around it by unchecking Standard Ligatures. Just wanted to report what is most likely a bug.
Can't post the complete file here, since it is the intellectual property of my client, but the detail I posted explains it well.
When I just open the PDF it still looks good, only after importing the "ti" is gone.

I have just had an issue with ligatures and pdf export. I exported a 20 page newsletter as a pdf for web using the standard export and all the ff characters appeared as single f, yet when cut and pasted from the pdf showed up as ff.  I was using standard MS fonts as body text, in the main arial and times roman italic. As most of my work is done free for charities and third sector groups who cannot afford to have these printed I have turn off standard ligatures as they do not really enhance the type of work I am doing. How can I change the default to off as it seem to be on each time I open a new document and I cannot seem to find it in preferences

Alan Pickup

Windows 11 Home all Affinity suite of Apps PC and Gigabyte Laptop 16gb Ram and Nvidia GTX1660 Super on each.

25 minutes ago, AlanPickup said:

How can I change the default to off as it seem to be on each time I open a new document and I cannot seem to find it in preferences

You might try:

1. Creating a new Publisher document.
  2. In the Text Styles studio panel, double-click on the Base style to edit it.
  3. Turn off all the Ligatures under Typography.
  4. Click OK to save your changes.
  5. Use the Text Styles panel's hamburger menu to save the current styles as your defaults.

image.png.0d69df81630df778a0272ac95e3d547a.png 

default-styles.png.84da2586365ff6fad05e068af06fe462.png

image.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hi Walt

Thanks for the info, but not sure if I am doing it right. I clicked on the base style and edited it and saved it as default. Closed down and opened a new document clicked on base layer and all ligature boxes are uned, but if I open a new text box and click on the top bar Text>Typography the Ligature box is still ticked and the Text>Ligature is set at default. 

image.png.9a866c779185f2ea71b3cef9f29dcd8f.pngCapture2.PNG.a35129053c0b196ab4201f1db06ab53e.PNG1883470512_Capture1.PNG.b8640a9b53cfbd8e80b47860c8cdce38.PNG

Alan Pickup

Windows 11 Home all Affinity suite of Apps PC and Gigabyte Laptop 16gb Ram and Nvidia GTX1660 Super on each.

27 minutes ago, AlanPickup said:

but if I open a new text box and click on the top bar Text>Typography the Ligature box is still ticked and the Text>Ligature is set at default. 

You will need to use paragraph styles.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Again I do not know whether it me or not so I create a new text box select body in the paragraph panel and typography shows Ligatures unticked.  So create a new text box and it is still showing body in paragraph and ligatures is now ticked for this text box, I have to re-select body in paragraph and it goes unticked. Does this mean I am going to have to do this every time I create a text box?

PagePLus 9 all is forgiven baby I am coming home, hope you still love me

Alan Pickup

• 2 weeks later...