You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Tools of The Trade: Nintendo Controllers

Slyhound

Hello Affiniteers! I am a long-time Illustrator user and now a recent convert to Affinity Designer and wanted to share what I've made with AD. I saw the sale that was going on about a month ago and decided to pull the trigger. Glad I did as Affinity Designer is a very well-oiled machine that already offers a robust set of features that have been brilliantly thought out and has immense potential for further features. Well done team Serif! One of the features that I was most interested in when I purchased AD was the isometric grid and its features. I started out with a simple project: The NES controller. It's just a cube at the end of the day so I figured it'd make for a great first project. The tools are pretty self-explanatory if you are familiar with other design software and everything felt incredibly intuitive. Anywho, I have a habit of droning on and on when I'm excited about something and Affinity Designer definitely inspires that side of me. So without any further ado, please enjoy some of my work.

controller_test.thumb.png.f448283eb449272e325de741de28c181.png

gameboy_color_01.thumb.png.97ae9b5f6420cff0bead50b77beab81e.png

gameboy_affinity_view.thumb.PNG.131ea5c2893e935cd281c519545440f1.PNG

gameboyz.thumb.png.ca4c5631faea17930e16f157030fd5a6.png

snes_controller_slyhound.thumb.png.c939da6b4ac7b5ccb24a2ecf3cb6758f.png

super_famicon_army_slyhound.thumb.png.412cefa3dbb5ccef63e544fc422dcd05.png

I hope you enjoy my work! I plan to keep on making more isometric controllers for the time being, with a Gamecube controller being the next piece. Like my work? Check out my Dribbble account where you can see more: https://dribbble.com/b_houtz

I also just joined this hip new thing called "Instagram" recently in 2019 and if you're looking for an account to follow (hah) I would be honored to have you join me: https://www.instagram.com/sly_hound/

On some of these controller posts, I have thoughts on Affinity Designer for those who are interested in such things. Thanks!

Edited by Slyhound

• 2 years later...

Such great work! I'm a first time user and trying to learn how to design realistic objects. I don't suppose you have any advice or can direct me to any tutorials where I can develop these skills? My first attempt was sketching out a plain water bottle but just couldn't get it right. Thanks for your help.