You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

v146 - Group of Panels Disappear

Not sure how exactly to reproduce this, but it's happened 2-3 times. Had an existing new doc open, very simple, created in the beta. One layer group was from another open APh doc (2 blocks of artistic text), the layers copied and pasted into the main doc. I had just revised that type doc, then went back to the orig main doc to see if I could somehow get it to update or if I had to copy/paste it in again. When I right-clicked on the text group (2 text items grouped), I didn't get anything. I also tried the "burger" menu dropdown (Layers pane), but nothing there. I then clicked on one of the main menu bar items (possibly Edit) and immediately the group of Studio panes (Layers, Adjustment, Effects, styles, Stock) disappeared from the right middle sidebar. 

When this had happened previously, I made the wrong choice by using the Reset Studio which lost a ton of time, requiring me to completely re-set-up my customized workspace (need to be able to save workspaces!) from scratch. This last time just now, I just quit the app and when I restarted, the missing panes were floating together in a group right of screen center towards the top. I could then drag the group back to its place in the right middle sidebar.

Not sure which part of what I did caused the issue but it generated a lot of curse words when I lost my workspace! I'm thinking it is somehow a result of editing the text group in the other open APh doc, then going back to the main doc. The main doc is very simple — a main full-frame low-rez jpeg as background, then 2 groups of text copy/pasted from other open APh docs (2 artistic text blocks in each group).

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Ventura
MacBook Pro, 13", M1 2020 • 16 GB • macOS Ventura
iPad Air 2022

Are you on Mac or Windows? What version of which OS and are you working in Separated Mode or in a consolidated window?

Plus I have to say that you lost me after "... the main doc ... "

and then there is "...  revised that type doc ..." & "...the orig main doc  ..." & "... the other open APh doc ..." & "... open APh docs ..." 

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

57 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Plus I have to say that you lost me after "... the main doc ... "

The main Affinity Photo beta document that had the issue reported.

57 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

"...  revised that type doc ..."

Made revisions to the other Affinity Photo beta document that contained only text/type.

For full clarification/translation of the shorthand slang, I created a new Photo beta document that then had the reported bug problem. Within that Photo beta main document (containing a jpeg background layer) are two other groups of layers containing only type/text. Those two groups of text/type were created in the other two open Photo beta documents (one Photo beta document for each group of text layers, each group containing two Artistic Text elements), and those text/type Photo beta documents remained open while working on the main Photo document containing the background JPEG and the two grouped layers of text copied/pasted from the other two described open Photo beta documents. In other words, all 3 Photo beta documents were open, but it was the one with the background JPEG and the copied/pasted text/type groups that exhibited the reported bug of vanishing Studio panes. 

[Separated Mode or in a consolidated window?} Consolidated.

I'm using the Mac beta forum to report a Mac bug. A similar "disappearance" of Studio panes/panels has been reported, but this appears to have a couple different circumstances.

About.jpeg

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Ventura
iPad Air 2022

For even further clarification :D, type=text for those too young to remember. I started in the days of "typesetting" and "copy-setting". Even lead hot-type. Too used to the old industry slang for many publishing/printing things. 

--------------------

iPad Air 2022

On 7/18/2019 at 3:52 PM, nwhit said:

I then clicked on one of the main menu bar items (possibly Edit) and immediately the group of Studio panes (Layers, Adjustment, Effects, styles, Stock) disappeared from the right middle sidebar. 

Did you maybe enter one of the other personas? That is about all I can think of that would lose your set of Studio panes.

Although why they would reappear in different locations is beyond me.

On 7/18/2019 at 6:31 PM, nwhit said:

For even further clarification :D, type=text for those too young to remember. I started in the days of "typesetting" and "copy-setting". Even lead hot-type. Too used to the old industry slang for many publishing/printing things. 

I can relate.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

30 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Did you maybe enter one of the other personas? That is about all I can think of that would lose your set of Studio panes.

Although why they would reappear in different locations is beyond me.

No, didn't click or enter another Persona. I think the key issue (in hindsight) was that I had edited one of the other APh files in another window, saved it, then came back to the main document. Once I did that, I noticed that if I right-clicked on the layer that had originally been copy/pasted from that changed document, I did not get a contextual menu dropdown. Same with trying the Layers "burger" menu - nothing. I was trying to see if there was an Update menu item to bring in the changes I had made to the original text document I had just updated. Since I couldn't get contextual menus to work, I clicked on the top menu bar, possibly the Edit menu, and voila! The 3 grouped Studio panes mentioned vanished from their docked spot in the middle-right sidebar. When I quit and restarted the app, the "missing" group of panes showed up detached as a group just right of the middle of the entire screen. 

Someplace there is a thread where someone with a similar issue said the panes disappear off the screen, perhaps, but no explanation why. And no explanation why making changes to a file that has been copy/pasted into the main file might cause issues. I'm aware of the several issues in APub with linked files having problems when they are changed, but not sure how that might relate to this since the text elements/layers were simply copy/pasted into the main doc in this case. 

--------------------

iPad Air 2022

• 8 months later...
  • Staff

Sorry.

Thank you for reporting a problem using the pre 1.8.0 beta builds. It appears that a member of the Affinity QA team didn't get round to fully investigating this specific report posted in the bugs forums. We are very sorry for this oversight. Yours is one of a number of reports that I am posting this apology to, using an automated script. 

Now we have released 1.8.3 on all platforms containing many hundreds of bug fixes, and we hope your problem has already been fully addressed. If you still have this problem in the 1.8.3 release build, then the QA team would really appreciate you reporting again it in the relevant Bugs forum.

Each of those links above contains instructions how best to report a bug to us. If that is what you already did in this thread just copy paste your original report into a new thread. We appreciate all the information that you have including sample files and screen shots to help us replicate your problem.

This thread has now been locked as the QA team are not following the threads to which this automatic reply is made, which is why we would appreciate a new bug report if you are still have this problem in the release build.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon