You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

In an older version of Affinity, I have a document with the Hex colors I used on another project.

In the updated version, I copied and pasted the Hex colors I want in a new project and it changes the number. Then I typed in the Hex number and it does the same thing.

I've included a crude screen video so you can see what happens.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks,

Bill

10 minutes ago, BHIP said:

The video or if you type in a hex number it's not changing?

I guess I should be more careful with my writing... the number I paste or type into the HEX box changes the colour. I tried with a number of files and it all worked.

"I am not seeing that behaviour here." Is what I should have written, I was thinking it, honest.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• Staff

Hi BHIP :)

I've tried to replicate this here and I'm not seeing the same issue currently, could you please confirm the following:

1. What colour format are your 2 documents in? You can find out under File>Document setup and I believe each document will be in a different format. 
  2. Do you know which version of Affinity the original document was created in?
  3. After typing/pasting the hex code, am I safe to assume you're using the enter/return key to update your changes?
  4. If you create a new document in RGB 8bit, can you input HEX values correctly?

Can you please provide a copy of both documents to the following link, along with a copy of your Mac App Data. If you've purchased the app from the Affinity Store this can be found in Library>Application Support>Affinity Designer. If you've purchased the app from the Mac App Store this can be found in Library>Containers>com.seriflabs.affinitydesigner. Thanks in advance!

https://www.dropbox.com/request/qaiaPN052bYCcCle20ZN

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

Older document with the hex colors the document is CMYK8.

New document is RGB8 and that is the problem doc.

I've never changed the Color Format ever. I wouldn't even know why to do that.

I do not know the Affinity Version I used to make the old document.

I'll work on getting you the Mac App data and the documents.

• Staff

Thanks for that, it's very useful!

After typing/pasting the hex code, am I safe to assume you're using the enter/return key to update your changes?

If you could please zip the entire 'Data' folder and upload this it will allow us to replicate the issue here, thanks :) 

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

• Staff

Thanks very much for that. There are a few strange things at play here that I'm yet to be able to replicate - both with your documents and App Data.

Firstly, the HEX code displayed at the start of your video; #004D50 is not the correct code for the light cyan colour that your object has - the reason for this I'm not currently certain of.

Secondly, when you paste/type this code into the second document, the colour that is applied to the object is correct (in regards to HEX #004D50) however the HEX code changes to be incorrect. If #001E1F was being applied, as the sliders notate, then the object would appear a lot darker than it is - again I'm not currently sure of the reasoning for this either.

Do you have any third party colour monitoring or syncing utilities active? If you open ColourSync Utility, under Devices>Displays could you please let me know what Current Profile is set to your monitor?

That is weird. I just took that 004d50 and pasted it into the browser and it came up with the other color.

But in the old document, that hex number is coming up as the light cyan.

I don't know what a ColourSync Utility is and I hope this is the right screenshot.

Maybe this is just a glitch and I need to start from scratch and shrug this off as Mercury Retrograde. :) I feel like this is a ghost incident and I'm wasting your time when other people need real help. And I am grateful for the time you have given me thus far.

Screen Shot 2019-07-19 at 7.04.34 AM.png

3 minutes ago, BHIP said:

That is weird. I just took that 004d50 and pasted it into the browser and it came up with the other color.

But in the old document, that hex number is coming up as the light cyan.

#000000 is black and #ffffff is white, so a hex pair with a value of #7f or less will be dark at 100% opacity: #004d50 is dark teal. Do you have any transparency applied to the object(s)?

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

Thanks for that, could you please upload a copy of this .icc profile here? You ICC profiles will be stored under /Library/ColorSync/Profiles/Displays/

If you change to the sRGB profile, then restart your Mac and reopen Affinity Designer, does this resolve the hex code issue?

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

#000000 is black and #ffffff is white, so a hex pair with a value of #7f or less will be dark at 100% opacity: #004d50 is dark teal. Do you have any transparency applied to the object(s)?

No transparency :) 

1 hour ago, Dan C said:

Thanks for that, could you please upload a copy of this .icc profile here? You ICC profiles will be stored under /Library/ColorSync/Profiles/Displays/

If you change to the sRGB profile, then restart your Mac and reopen Affinity Designer, does this resolve the hex code issue?

I don't have a ColorSync folder under Libraries.

I will change to sRGB and restart and get back to you.

Screen Shot 2019-07-19 at 8.50.37 AM.png

1 hour ago, Dan C said:

Nothing changed when I changed the display profile. 

5 hours ago, BHIP said:

I don't have a ColorSync folder under Libraries.

You are not looking in the right Library folder. In Finder, select "Go to folder..." from the Go menu & enter (without the quotes) "/Library/ColorSync/Profiles/Displays" in the window that pops up. Press the Go button to go to that folder.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

11 minutes ago, R C-R said:

You are not looking in the right Library folder. In Finder, select "Go to folder..." from the Go menu & enter (without the quotes) "/Library/ColorSync/Profiles/Displays" in the window that pops up. Press the Go button to go to that folder.

Thanks and sorry but there's nothing there. I copied and pasted too. :)

Screen Shot 2019-07-19 at 2.25.45 PM.png

11 minutes ago, BHIP said:

Thanks and sorry but there's nothing there.

That seems odd -- normally there should be a profile for any monitor you have connected to your Mac.

Anyway, try this:

From the Go menu, open the Utilities folder (or use the keyboard shortcut Shift-CMD-U). You should see ColorSync Utility listed there. Double-click on it to open it & after it does, click on the Devices tab at the top of the app window. On the list on the left should be a "Displays" category with a triangle next to it you can click on to show the profiles registered as suitable for your Dell display. Click on one of those shown there (if any) & post a screenshot of the right side of the panel with the 'scope,' 'path,' etc. data showing.  

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

4 minutes ago, R C-R said:

That seems odd -- normally there should be a profile for any monitor you have connected to your Mac.

Anyway, try this:

From the Go menu, open the Utilities folder (or use the keyboard shortcut Shift-CMD-U). You should see ColorSync Utility listed there. Double-click on it to open it & after it does, click on the Devices tab at the top of the app window. On the list on the left should be a "Displays" category with a triangle next to it you can click on to show the profiles registered as suitable for your Dell display. Click on one of those shown there (if any) & post a screenshot of the right side of the panel with the 'scope,' 'path,' etc. data showing.  

Here ya go! 1540121751_ScreenShot2019-07-19at2_52_58PM.png.452738820cbbcc5f63c6c8b13b097e02.png

9 hours ago, BHIP said:

Here ya go!

It looks like there is more than one profile for the Dell -- if you click on the disclosure triangle next to it, it should show them, hopefully with a path for one if you select it. I think the path should be /System/Library/ColorSync/Profiles/ITU-709.icc, which is Apple's built-in icc profile for TV/HDMI connections.

It is a general purpose profile, close to sRGB (which is probably why you did not see much if any change when you switched to it) but it probably does not match the characteristics of your Dell U2715H monitor very well. I tried browsing through the Dell user guide PDF, but it was not particularly helpful, other than saying there are many adjustments that affect color available in the monitor itself, but very little specific to connecting it to a Mac & letting the OS handle color adjustments.

Anyway, I think you need to calibrate your monitor (using the 'last resort' software calibrator if you don't have a hardware one) to get a good match. 

Affinity Photo 

Thank you.

I'll do my best to follow your instructions.

One thing that I forgot to add, and I don't know if this matter. The older file was made on a MacbookPro with this Dell Monitor and the new one was made with my new MacMini and this monitor. 

Have a great weekend!

Bill