You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Smudge tool creates undesirable saturation shifts in colour and with some brushes even transparent holes in non-transparent colours

I've been testing the Smudge tool quite a bit lately, and I noticed some very strange behaviour that I would not expect out of this tool when trying out various settings. Down below is a pretty straight forward demonstration of the problems. I wasn't able to produce a video of the tool creating holes in the transparency because the brushes I used I haven't imported to the latest Beta version, but I think the results shown in this video are enough to prove my point that it is a bit broken.

• Staff

Hey Frozen Death Knight,

Is it specific to that image? I've tried it on some samples and I can't seem to build up the effect you're seeing. I tried it on the 'Warrior' sample file as it seemed to share the similar painted style of your image.

Any chance you could upload your sample? I don't think it looks quite right either...

@Chris B I will send you one of my files and you can try it for yourself in just a bit. Also, no, it is not unique to that document (tested it in both the live and Beta versions, btw). I am on Windows 10.

I also was able to reproduce the issue with transparency holes just now. What you need to reproduce it is using a tablet with pressure sensitivity. If you are pressing your pen against the tablet to regulate pressure, many of the brushes that are packaged in Photo will create holes in your fully non-transparent colours. To be able to reproduce the issue from my first video you just need your mouse and click drag, which has no pressure sensitivity at all.

The results for the Smudge tool differ between pressure sensitive and non-pressure sensitive commands. Here's a new video showing pressure sensitivity in action.

• 4 months later...

I have the same problem.  Mac OS 10.14.6

Smudge tool's behaviour is not consistent between mouse and tablet.  Attempting to use a tablet causes it to erase / add transparency to the smudge strokes, making the tool unusable.  Behaviour persists on the current version of Affinity Photo (1.7.3).

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...