You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Scanner Problems

JackA

I recently purchased an Epson ET-3750 scanner / printer. I am using a Mac. Because of that the Epson supplied driver doesn't work correctly and I was advised to use the Apple version. As part of the "is it working correctly" testing I tried to scan an image into APhoto. The overview image was fine but the final scanned image was completely unusable.

I tried the same test into Photoshop Elements and it worked correctly.

See the attachment. It contains 2 images, the one from Photo and the other Elements. Both tests used the installed driver.

I also have the Epson supplied scan utility which, presumably also uses the Apple driver and it also works fine.

Jack

Archive.zip

• Staff

Hey Jack,

I'm not quite sure what's going wrong here. I've tried it with a Canon scanner with no additional drivers installed and it is working fine. As we don't have your scanner it's going to be difficult to solve.

It may be worth experimenting with different DPI settings as I recall reading a few posts in the past where this has affected the outcome.

Affinity relies solely on the drivers you have already installed and you cannot add a driver as a plugin. The Acquire option is driven by what the OS supplies.

In this case, we would normally suggest using the scanners own software as you will always achieve the best results.

Thanks for that.

I can't use the Epson supplied printer. There seems to be some conflict within the Epson driver and macOS which prevents duplex printing working correctly. Epson support advised I use the Apple driver and that did cure the duplex problem.

I repeat what I keep saying .. it works fine, same scanner, same driver in Photoshop Elements which does suggest a problem in Affinity. Elements uses a similar mechanism as Affinity, it calls it Import from Device rather than Acquire. Although I do accept if you don't have access to the device it does make fixing the issue difficult.

Jack

The JPG I sent on my original post was at 600dpi. I've rescanned at 100, 200, 300 and 1200 which is all the supported resolutions. All had the same result.

I am not by any means a graphics expert (I take photos and tart them up to look pleasing and that's it). The histogram for these images is odd, the red, green and blue channels look identical, which I don't think is what you'd expect.

Jack

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi,

I too have been experiencing Acquire scan issues. I attached a pdf file, created in word, that hopefully captures enough of what I see to facilitate a root cause and subsequently a fix. While there are work arounds, the salient point of why I am reporting this is that something else may be broken and that this is just the tip of the iceberg. 

My_ability_to_acquire_scan_images_into_Affinity_Photo_on_my_MAC_has_stopped_working.pdf

• 3 years later...

I don't think the problem is Affinity related per se'.  I have a Raven scanner and for the life of me I cannot get it to scan in color (sort of).

When scanning from my old 2012 Intel based Mac everything works as it should, black and white, greyscale and colour.  However when plugged into my M1 Mac, I get the garbled colour scans, but greyscale and black and white work perfectly.

Now on my M1 I use Sonoma and on my IntelMac I use Monterey.

Now here's the kicker.  If I use the Image Capture app on my M1, I can scan in all three.

I'm beginning to thing the problem lies somewhere within the Rosetta translation lay, but I have no way to prove it.

Base Unit: I5 (10th gen.), 6 cores, 12 threads, 24GB Ram, 256GB SSD (Boot), 1TB HDD, Intel 630 (Graphics), Colour Calibrated Monitor and Printer (Courtesy of X-Rite Hardware) - Running MacOS Monterey

Laptop: I5 (6th Gen), 8GB Ram, 128GB nvme, Intel 520 Graphics, Colour calibrated screen(Courtesy of X-Rite Hardware) - Running MacOS Monterey.

Server: i5 (4th Gen). 16GB Ram, nVidia GT 730 (Graphics), 500GB SSD (Boot), 2TB & 1TB HDD (General storage), Running MacOS Catalina