You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Feature Request: Add Log10 (Logarithm Base 10) function to textfields

I was recently shown: https://affinity.help/designer/English.lproj/pages/Workspace/expressions.html

However, the function I need (Log10) is missing.

Please add?

Also, is it possible to use multiple functions in a single text field? I have need to specify a number between a range of positive real numbers into a formula like this:

(360.0 * log10(sin(number that can vary between 0 and 1)))

2 minutes ago, GreenGirl said:

Also, is it possible to use multiple functions in a single text field? I have need to specify a number between a range of positive real numbers into a formula like this:

(360.0 * log10(sin(number that can vary between 0 and 1)))

Yes, you can do that (but obviously not with log10 at the moment).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

To convert from natural logs to logs base 10, just multiply by 0.434294481903252 (log10(exp(1)).

You can easily include this constant in your expressions.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

5 hours ago, John Rostron said:

You can easily include this constant in your expressions.

Easily?

I don't think I've ever seen a 14 decimal-place constant called easy :D

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Easily?

Well there is easy and then there is accurate... In my head pi used to have 6 decimal places, now it only has 2.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

14 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Easily?

You can copy and paste a 14 decimal place constant just as easily as a 2 decimal place one.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

12 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

Well there is easy and then there is accurate... In my head pi used to have 6 decimal places, now it only has 2.

I’m shocked to discover that you don’t remember it to twenty decimal places (3.14159265358979323846) as I do! :P

Alfred spacer.png

On 7/19/2019 at 12:52 PM, Alfred said:

I’m shocked to discover that you don’t remember it to twenty decimal places (3.14159265358979323846) as I do! :P

I do recall there was a mnemonic for the decimal digits of pi that began "How I wish I could ..." I recall that Archimedes" featured somewhere for 9.

John

1 hour ago, John Rostron said:

I do recall there was a mnemonic for the decimal digits of pi that began "How I wish I could ..." I recall that Archimedes" featured somewhere for 9.

That rings a vague bell, John. The mnemonic I know is

Sir, I bear a rhyme excelling,
In mystic force and magic spelling.
Celestial sprites elucidate,
All my own striving can’t relate.

One nice touch is that it even includes a comma for the decimal separator after ‘Sir’ (3). I find it almost as easy to remember a string of twenty digits, which has the advantage that you don’t need to do any counting, but it’s good to have a mnemonic to fall back on if you get lost somewhere along the way!

Alfred spacer.png

5 hours ago, John Rostron said:

I recall that Archimedes" featured somewhere for 9.

I’ve just re-read this and spotted a slight problem: “Archimedes” has 10 letters! :o

Edit: Found it!

How I wish I could recollect, of circle round, the exact relation Arkimedes (or Archimede) learned

https://www.mnemonic-device.com/arithmetic/pi/may-i-have-a-large-container-of-coffee/

Alfred spacer.png

4 minutes ago, Alfred said:

I’ve just re-read this and spotted a slight problem: “Archimedes” has 10 letters! :o

I told you that it was what I recalled. I did not say my recollection was accurate. I met this mnemonic at school, probably over sixty years ago!

John

13 minutes ago, Alfred said:
16 minutes ago, Alfred said:

How I wish I could recollect, of circle round, the exact relation Arkimedes (or Archimede) learned

I think that a mnemonic that relies on a variant spelling is of less than optimal utility.

John

7 minutes ago, John Rostron said:

I think that a mnemonic that relies on a variant spelling is of less than optimal utility.

As clearly demonstrated by the fact that you couldn’t recall it accurately a mere sixty years later. :P

Alfred spacer.png