You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Yes, it does seem to be by design, but you and I are not alone in thinking that it would be good to be able to open a stock image as a new document. The best workaround at the moment is to create a new document which is smaller than the stock image, add the image (which will be clipped to the small canvas) and then ‘Unclip Canvas’ to reveal the entire picture.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

15 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Yes, it does seem to be by design, but you and I are not alone in thinking that it would be good to be able to open a stock image as a new document. The best workaround at the moment is to create a new document which is smaller than the stock image, add the image (which will be clipped to the small canvas) and then ‘Unclip Canvas’ to reveal the entire picture. 

Document > Clip Canvas

Should work, no matter the size of the new document created

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

9 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Document > Clip Canvas

Should work, no matter the size of the new document created

‘Unclip Canvas’ produced the desired result when I tried it here, but that was specifically with a smaller new document. (Unclipping seemed more logical, given that the image starts out being clipped to the canvas, but I suppose ‘Clip Canvas’ is meant to clip the canvas to the image rather than t’other way around.)

Alfred spacer.png

2 minutes ago, Alfred said:

‘Unclip Canvas’ produced the desired result when I tried it here, but that was specifically with a smaller new document.

The point is you don't know the size of the stock image until you drag it into a document

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

1 minute ago, carl123 said:

The point is you don't know the size of the stock image until you drag it into a document

Well, not exactly, but it’s reasonable to assume that most stock images will have pixel dimensions in four figures. That aside, please see the parenthetical remark that I added to my previous message while you were posting your reply.

Alfred spacer.png

3 hours ago, Alfred said:

Unclip canvas works great.

2 minutes ago, csj said:

Unclip canvas works great.

Thanks for the feedback. :)

As @carl123 has pointed out, ‘Clip Canvas’ will work regardless of the relative sizes of the document and the image.

Alfred spacer.png

5 hours ago, Alfred said:

but I suppose ‘Clip Canvas’ is meant to clip the canvas to the image rather than t’other way around.)

Thanks for the unclipping tip. Indeed, clipping after unclipping doesn't return the canvas size to its original dimensions as it has now taken on the size of the picture. 

8 hours ago, Alfred said:

The best workaround at the moment is to create a new document which is smaller than the stock image, add the image (which will be clipped to the small canvas) and then ‘Unclip Canvas’ to reveal the entire picture.

What about simply double-clicking on the image in the Stock panel to open its stock page in the default browser?

I routinely do this anyway for several reasons. One is because the square thumbnail previews usually don't show the full, un-cropped image. Another is I want to know the pixel size options for raster images & if there an SVG or other vector version available. A third is to get the credit info to include in the file and/or make a donation.

I only use Pixabay so I don't know how the others work but once I sign into my Pixabay account, I can choose to view any available raster image size & just drag that into the empty Affinity Photo workspace to effectively open it as a new document. That doesn't work for vector versions, but I usually need to download them anyway (& open them in Designer instead).

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

10 minutes ago, R C-R said:

What about simply double-clicking on the image in the Stock panel to open its stock page in the default browser?

Is there an equivalent gesture or sequence in the iPad version? I can’t find one.

Alfred spacer.png

7 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Is there an equivalent gesture or sequence in the iPad version? I can’t find one.

Since I can't figure out how to get to the iPad Stock Studio without creating a new document or opening an existing one, I am not even sure what the equivalent could be! :S

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

9 hours ago, R C-R said:

Since I can't figure out how to get to the iPad Stock Studio without creating a new document or opening an existing one, I am not even sure what the equivalent could be! :S

The equivalent could be anything, if only we could somehow tell the app (after creating or opening a document) that the selected stock image should be opened as a new document instead of being pasted into the current document.

Alfred spacer.png