You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

It would be easier to work out what’s going on if we could see the nodes, but there’s clearly something weird going on with some of them.

72EBE2FB-73CB-4E1F-B549-B9C3AF099EDD.jpeg

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Great help so far - thank you. I can see now there's an open line. I added an image that shows the nodes for that same area - and then another pic of the "debris of nodes" I get when I add fills together. 
When I design, I use brush strokes and overlap them intentionally, then expand and divide and delete the excess pieces... but when I merge pieces together again, I often get the extra nodes. So far, the best answer for that has been to divide and then merge again. 

Certainly open to better solutions. 

Screen Shot 2019-07-18 at 9.44.22 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-07-18 at 9.43.32 AM.png

Unfortunately, the boolean operations, and where forms have edges that are close together, the operation(s) for many very small objects. Every red dot node means a separate curve. When you do the second divide, those will all detach, and can be trashed fairly easily.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

9 minutes ago, Boldlinedesign said:

When I design, I use brush strokes and overlap them intentionally, then expand and divide and delete the excess pieces... but when I merge pieces together again, I often get the extra nodes.

The problem you’re running into is that the divided pieces butt up against each other with no overlaps. If you manually add overlaps before adding those pieces back together, the issue should go away.

Alfred spacer.png

2 minutes ago, Alfred said:

The problem you’re running into is that the divided pieces butt up against each other with no overlaps. If you manually add overlaps before adding those pieces back together, the issue should go away.

oh interesting - I will try that. I wonder why this is an issue in AD but not in Illustrator?

1 minute ago, Boldlinedesign said:

ok the overlap works in many places and helps - thank you

You’re welcome.

- what about areas like this where you get a negative space where there is overlap?

Good question! What problems do you encounter in that scenario?

Alfred spacer.png

3 minutes ago, Boldlinedesign said:

In trying to overlap the two pieces that otherwise butt up against each other - its at times, creating that negative space instead of a solid overlap. 

Ah, OK. I think you should be able to solve that by changing the fill mode from ‘Alternate’ to ‘Winding’.

Alfred spacer.png