You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PDF text is changed on import

Hello,

I create architectural drawings which include text (standard font such as Verdana). I create a vector PDF using "Microsoft print to PDF." On import into Publisher, text changes font, spacing, paragraph style, position, etc.. I do have the font, since I am the creator of the content on the same computer. Screen shot shows, opened PDF (left), placed in Publisher (right). Occasionally the changes are more radical. I did not have this issue with beta versions. 

It is as though Publisher is trying to edit the PDF and is missing a font. I do not want it to edit, just pass through and I do have the font. 

Thank you for your help, 

Lukas

Snímek obrazovky (110).png

• Staff

We don't actually support pass through so there is some import processing when placing a PDF. It is curious that the beta versions were OK though. We'd need some sample files to investigate. The PDF, and fonts used which can be uploaded here

What application are you printing from ?

Are you planning on adding pass through?

As mentioned by several people many times it is an essential feature for most publications with ads and elements prepared by other designers. No support would transport Affinity users back into the dark ages of graphic design with incompatible files, large TIFs and illegal font exchange to make things work ...

Hello,

Im printing vector PDF from Rhinoceros 3D using Microsoft print to PDF. Ive been using beta of Publisher for this for a few months and there were no problems till the release. 

The font used is Verdana. I am uploading a sample drawing. 

Not being able to pass through makes Publisher worthless. If I knew this would be the case, I wouldnt have purchased it. I expected same results as with beta. 

Lukas

publisher_error_sample.pdf

Hi @Pauls

Import PDF with embedded fonts is a must have for me in Publisher. I'm dealing with printing a booklet containing ads from sponsors and they only give me PDF ready to be printed (incl. bleed and markers). So from my point of view not having those fonts loaded is useless. Do you plan to add this feature?

My only solutions at the moment are:

• extract image from PDF wich result a lot of times in a loss of quality.
  • download fonts from the internet but this might give some inconsistancies if the font is not exactly the same (plus it's illegal most of the time).
  • leave Publisher for another software

It would be way easier to load the few characters embedded directly in the document in order to print it with both quality and fidelity. Sponsors have bought licenses so I should be able to print their documents. Plus it's only embedded characters and not the whole fonts.

How are we supposed to deal with this in the meantime?

Thank you for your help.

:)

Hello, 

thats curious, all fonts have been set to Verdana in Rhinoceros. Either way, if I can create the font, it means its on my PC, meaning that Publisher should have no problems, no?

What I dont understand also, is why this started happening after the release. 

I also tried PDF Architect for export, got same results. 

I am going to try to test other fonts and set ups in Rhinoceros.

A pass through would obviously solve all of this. 

Lukas

• 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

We've altered the font matching in the latest beta but given the fact that the PDF generator you're using is not putting the font name into the PDF we are guessing the font. This will usually lead to a mismatch, If you open the PDF and specify the font mapping then placing should remember that font mapping.

Have you tried different PDF drivers? There are a few free ones around. It could be the problem is with Rhinoceros but I'd definately try other PDF making software just in case the problem is with the Microsoft PDF driver.

Windows 10 Pro, I5 3.3G PC 16G RAM

• 2 weeks later...