You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Vibrance Layer sliders may or may not appear.

I was attempting to respond to this post from @RomanNYC trying to apply both vibrance (at -100%) and saturation (100%) to an image.

I loaded one of my own images (a jpg) and clicked on Layer > New Adjustment Layer > Vibrance and I got a box with a couple of sliders allowing me to adjust each of these two properties.

I downloaded @RomanNYC's image (a png) and then tried to do the same with this image. Photo added a new Adjustment Layer, but no slider box appeared. I have tried double-clicking on the adjustment layer to no avail.

As far as I can see, both images are 8-bit sRGB.

What gives?

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

5 hours ago, RomanNYC said:

thats weird.   maybe the new build isn't fully cooked with vibrance?  not sure.

I found this:  https://www.photo-mark.com/notes/analyzing-photoshop-vibrance-and-saturation/

I think the way Adobe uses the vibrance adjustment is just different.  But I wish there was a way to accomplish what I had been doing in photoshop with Affinity Photo.

Is there a work-around or an alternate way to arrive at the same result?

45 minutes ago, RomanNYC said:

Is there a work-around or an alternate way to arrive at the same result?

That is what I was trying to do. It seemed to work with one of my own jpg images, but not with your images. The vibrance adjustment layer allows you to alter both vibrance and saturation. I was able to set these to -100% and 100% as you have done. I also tried using the vibrance adjustment layer to set vibrance to -100%, then using the HSL adjustment layer to set saturation to 100%. The two procedures gave different results but, as  said, I was unable to apply this to your image.

Could you provide the actual image that you were using, rather than a screenshot, so I can try on that.

John

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

2 minutes ago, John Rostron said:

That is what I was trying to do. It seemed to work with one of my own jpg images, but not with your images. The vibrance adjustment layer allows you to alter both vibrance and saturation. I was able to set these to -100% and 100% as you have done. I also tried using the vibrance adjustment layer to set vibrance to -100%, then using the HSL adjustment layer to set saturation to 100%. The two procedures gave different results but, as  said, I was unable to apply this to your image.

John

Yea I did that before too and was surprised.

According to the article on Adobe's vibrance adjustment I cited above: 

Vibrance: Adjusts the saturation so that clipping is minimized as colors approach full saturation. This setting changes the saturation of all lower-saturated colors with less effect on the higher-saturated colors. Vibrance also prevents skin tones from becoming oversaturated.

Not sure what Affinity does... I was just hoping it would be similar or closer to the same results.

I encountered the same issue with the other two things I did often with Photoshop (in my above post with PSD files).

After some experimentation, I find that the Vibrance Adjustment Layer works as expected in almost all circumstances. The exception seems to be png images obtained by screenshots.

I do not see this as a real problem.

John

Thanks for trying it out.  I included the PSDs that use TIFF files.  I mainly would use a 16bit TIFF.  But I’ve also used a JPG. The behavior is different.  My PNG file format is just default for my Mac’s screenshots, meant to show the use of PS and AP only.  

Ultimately I want a way to see the most saturated colors.   It worked all these years with PS and not sure why it wouldn’t with AP.  

1 hour ago, RomanNYC said:

I included the PSDs that use TIFF files.

Do you mean that the original file was a tiff that was loaded into photoshop then saved as a psd?

I have looked at both your aphoto and psd files. In both cases and using a single adjustment layer, I observe:

• Setting V=-100% and S=+100% is very similar to the original background.
  • Setting V=0% and S=100% gives a full saturation for the colours.
  • Setting V=100% and S=100% gives a full saturation for the colours, possibly more saturated than the previous.

1 hour ago, RomanNYC said:

Ultimately I want a way to see the most saturated colors

If that is what you want, then just adjusting Saturation to 100%  seems to do what you want, leaving Vibrance at 0%

In Affinity with the Vibrance/Photoshop sliders, it seems to apply the Vibrance effect and then the Saturation effect.

John

Yes that’s correct.  A TIFF file — it’s a printing test image — and saved as PSD since that what was asked I supply by a moderator.  

I realize the same results myself, when doing the same slider adjustments in Affinity.   My concern was that matching these “simple” sliders in the vibrance adjustment in both photoshop and affinity yield different results.  I am interested in why but ultimately only care about achieving the same result in Affinity as in Photoshop.  

So, it’s not possible you’re saying?

- Roman

47 minutes ago, RomanNYC said:

Soit’s not possible you’re saying

I have responded in your original thread on Layer problems, where it belongs.

John